Author Topic: Forever Fuzzy?  (Read 4752 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Forever Fuzzy?
« on: April 16, 2007, 12:12:54 AM »
Tilly's coat is mad at the moment, as you probably all know she was clipped practically down to the skin by her previous owners so I've been letting it grow back over the last 7 months and she now looks like a grizzly bear crossed with a small newfoundland. All over her back, sides and legs is really fluffy and kind of a lighter brown colour although I have noticed some lovely smooth darker brown fur coming in around the back of her neck so my question is does anyone have experienced of a clipped, neutered dog like this and will the fluff give way to this nice sleek fur over time on the rest of her body?

The top of her head is a whole other story as well, we saw an Aberdeen Angus bull today and if you ignored the horns his head looked like a bigger version of Tilly's  ph34r :005:  I need to stop people looking at Alfie and asking what kind of dog he is and then looking at Tilly and saying 'And what is she then?'  :P

Other questions: if the fuzz doesn't go then I'm considering getting just her belly clipped so she doesn't overheat in the summer, it's been really warm here this weekend and she's suffering already so I don't want her sweltering under all that fuzz all summer. Is this advisable or will I just make her look worse? Would a groomer just do a belly clip? I know you can do it on a horse but I have no idea with cockers  :005:  I don't want to clip her completely again because she looked really awful so does anyone have any other ideas?
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Forever Fuzzy?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 12:49:16 AM »
Have a couple of questions: How many times was she clipped by the prvious owners (more than 2 or 3?) Is she spayed?

You can try handstripping or a coat king on her to see if the fuzz will come out. If she is spayed and has been clippered several times this may or may not happen  :-\ The fluff won't "give way" on it's own, you'll have to work on it.  :P

Yes, you can do just a belly clip. I've done these on both English and American cockers and left the skirt on. It doesn't show when the dog is standing or sitting.

But I would consider shopping around for a good groomer. Cockers can be clippered into the correct pattern and made to look very natural by a skilled groomer. Not everyone makes a hash of the job, the dogs can look good and be comfortable too!  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 10:32:46 AM »
Thanks Michelle, yes she is spayed and I'm not sure exactly how many times they clipped her but as she was 2 when I got her it was probably more than two or three times, her coat was so short then she'd obviously been done pretty recently.

I'm not hugely bothered if she stays fuzzy from an aesthetic point of view because to me she's gorgeous no matter what but I want her to be comfortable. I think I'll take your advice about finding a good groomer and getting their opinion as to what they think they can do with her.

I am combing away at the fluff every day but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Would a coat king help in this instance?

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 12:51:53 PM »
A groomer with quite a good background in cockers, both American and English, told me that a dietary supplement of amino acids could help make a fuzzy coat smoother. Could be worth looking into. Maybe someone here can tell us more about that. I just never pursued it as, up until now, I've been able to manage Holly's coat fairly well.

Good luck Nicola  :D
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 01:54:07 PM »

Other questions: if the fuzz doesn't go then I'm considering getting just her belly clipped so she doesn't overheat in the summer, it's been really warm here this weekend and she's suffering already so I don't want her sweltering under all that fuzz all summer. Is this advisable or will I just make her look worse? Would a groomer just do a belly clip? I know you can do it on a horse but I have no idea with cockers  :005:  I don't want to clip her completely again because she looked really awful so does anyone have any other ideas?

Daisy has a 'belly clip' I think our groomers call it a 'hygiene cut' me and OH call it the 'valance sheet effect'  :lol: :lol:

Daisy really seems to appreciate it, you cant see it unless she rolls over for a belly rub - which Daise reckons is much enhanced by the lack of belly fluff  :luv:  Also she dries much more quickly on soggy days - so I would say go for it if you can explain what you want  ;) :lol:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 07:26:40 PM »

Daisy has a 'belly clip' I think our groomers call it a 'hygiene cut' me and OH call it the 'valance sheet effect'  :lol: :lol:

Daisy really seems to appreciate it, you cant see it unless she rolls over for a belly rub - which Daise reckons is much enhanced by the lack of belly fluff  :luv:  Also she dries much more quickly on soggy days - so I would say go for it if you can explain what you want  ;) :lol:

Sarah that sounds like just the thing for Tilly... do you have any pics of Daisy sporting her belly cut so I could print them and show the groomer?

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 07:31:49 PM »
I am combing away at the fluff every day but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Would a coat king help in this instance?

Casper has a fairly thick wooly coat (as opposed to Reuben's fine and silky one) and a coat king is great for him. It takes out loads of hair and leaves him looking glossy and sleek again. You can make a new puppy with the fur we remove sometimes! :o 
I would imagine it would be worth a try on Tilly.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 07:50:14 PM »

Casper has a fairly thick wooly coat (as opposed to Reuben's fine and silky one) and a coat king is great for him. It takes out loads of hair and leaves him looking glossy and sleek again. You can make a new puppy with the fur we remove sometimes! :o 
I would imagine it would be worth a try on Tilly.

Great, thanks Rhona. Is there a specific one you have? If all Tilly's fluff comes out then I will be able to knit myself another working cocker quite easily!  :005:

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 07:57:43 PM »

Sarah that sounds like just the thing for Tilly... do you have any pics of Daisy sporting her belly cut so I could print them and show the groomer?

Eeerm no!  But I'll get some for you - just need to get Daisy, camera,cable and OH all in the same room  :lol:  Give me a day or two and I'll get back to you  ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 08:00:20 PM »

Eeerm no!  But I'll get some for you - just need to get Daisy, camera,cable and OH all in the same room  :lol:  Give me a day or two and I'll get back to you  ;)

Gosh Sarah you mean you don't have any photos of your dog's belly to hand??!  :huh: :huh: How odd!

:lol: :lol:  Just kidding!  ;)  It's an odd request but it would really help to see it so thanks!  :-*

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 08:01:35 PM »
Dallas' tummy gets kept very short as he really struggles in the heat being a solid black. Its great from a wee wee point of view too (obv only for the boys  ;)). You can't notice it all unless he is lying on his back flashing his bits
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 08:02:38 PM »

Gosh Sarah you mean you don't have any photos of your dog's belly to hand??!  :huh: :huh: How odd!

:lol: :lol:  Just kidding!  ;)  It's an odd request but it would really help to see it so thanks!  :-*

:lol: :lol:

No probs!!

I've just hassled a load of Muppeteer pics out of Claire to take to my groomers - so what goes around comes around  :D

Offline Boo

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 08:37:57 PM »
Hi, I've recently got Molly (20 months), she's been spayed and previously clipped.  Her coat is very woolly and it was really dull and thick along her back.  As recommended on here I bought a Coat King 26 (20 has also been recommended) and in a week I can see a huge difference - she's even starting to shine  :luv:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 08:44:37 PM »
Hi, I've recently got Molly (20 months), she's been spayed and previously clipped.  Her coat is very woolly and it was really dull and thick along her back.  As recommended on here I bought a Coat King 26 (20 has also been recommended) and in a week I can see a huge difference - she's even starting to shine  :luv:

Oh fab! Molly's coat sounds very similar to Tilly's so I'm going to go and order a Coat King right now  :D

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 09:10:25 PM »
Is there a specific one you have?
Well if you haven't already ordered one  ph34r we went for the 20 blade, extra fine one.