Author Topic: And a top tip from Michele's grooming session re: slicker brushes!  (Read 1367 times)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
I bought one of those slicker brushes and have always been disappointed with it - didn't know if it was my technique or a crap brush.  Turns out - it was the brush.  (No jokes about a bad workman!). >:D

Michele had a look at it and compared it to hers.  Mine has the angled pins like hers, but the overal length of the pins on my brush is about 5mm shorter than hers - it makes a tremendous difference to have both a longer "stalk" to the pin (the bit that's attached to the rubber pad) and longer angled bit of the pin (which is about a third of the length of the stalk bit)  - the brush penetrates much more deeply into the fur and does a much better job of really clearing through the hair.  As she cut or thinned, it was the slicker brush that she used to clear out the loose/cut hair and it was such an efficient technique too!

New slicker brush - here I come!

Denise

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
Re: And a top tip from Michele's grooming session re: slicker brushes!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 12:32:05 AM »
Totally agree that the brush makes all the difference!  I was brushing Bailey for a long time with a slicker brush I bought from a pet store and I couldn't get through the matts and scratched myself all the time.  Then I ordered a new one from a Grooming website made by #1 All Systems (it wasn't the best one and really wasn't that much more expensive than the previous one I had--the pet stores obviously really mark up their merchandise) and the difference has been fantastic!  It worked sooooo much better, even with my technique  :005: ...and it has encouraged me to brush Bailey much more frequently as a result.  I still use a de-matting rake after I brush him, but there are a lot less matts to tease out.
Bailey and Mom

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 06:42:30 AM »
I'm off to surf for a new slicker brush now. We've just returned from the Scottish Highlands and Poppy and Bramble have brought the entire Abenethy forest with them  :005:
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Bertie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 11:24:32 AM »
Did you manage to find out what make it was? so we can all go shopping!  :005: Anything to make grooming easier!  :D

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
I know this is the one that Michele has recommended in the past  ;) & it's great  :D

slicker brush
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 02:29:03 PM »
I have just taken delivery of 2 Chris Christenson slicker brushes - one regular one and another triangular shaped one. The girls are busy sleeping at the moment, but obviously I had to have a wee try out of my new brushes....they are FANTASTIC!
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline loujo

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 07:17:31 PM »
Hi
Max X 2, that's the slicker brush I use and it's great.  I got mine from the same company, but at their trade stand at Crufts.  The curved slicker brushes are the best. :D
Louise xxx
(and Robbie 10yrs old and Alfie 7yrs old)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 07:25:03 PM »
My two never liked slicker brushes ..used to squirm  :huh: even with the 'soft' one.   Had various brushes and most the pins ended up squashed into the brush.

Bought one of these and its really good  ;) http://www.dezynadog.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=1420
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 08:09:55 PM »
I know this is the one that Michele has recommended in the past  ;) & it's great  :D
slicker brush

I use the one Maxine mentioned for my own dogs, but for the grooming I do I don't think it would stand up to it every day, so I use this one instead.

Remember with any slicker brush that the pins aren't coated or protected, by rubbing it along a concrete path or brickwork will soften the points.