Author Topic: your views on long coats or clipping  (Read 10049 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: your views on long coats or clipping
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2007, 10:22:41 AM »
;) Personally I prefer long coats, that's what cockers have !  and that's part of the deal imho.;)
If I wanted something easier to manage I'd choose another breed :D
Snap! :D

Which short haired breeds have similar breed traits as cockers?  ;)

I'm not sure Molo would be too happy about me trading him in for a short-haired breed anyway, tbh........I never intended to  hike miles with him when I chose a show cocker; maybe I should let his fur grow and stick to shorter walks with him, instead........... :huh:

My sentiments exactly --- I didn't chose my dogs for looks but mainly for their personaility, and there's nothing like a cocker personality, in bucketfuls, and a long show coat would be a nightmare for a lot of the walks I do.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2007, 11:47:20 AM »
;) Personally I prefer long coats, that's what cockers have !  and that's part of the deal imho.;)

I'm not sure Molo would be too happy about me trading him in for a short-haired breed anyway, tbh........I never intended to  hike miles with him when I chose a show cocker; maybe I should let his fur grow and stick to shorter walks with him, instead........... :huh:

My sentiments exactly --- I didn't chose my dogs for looks but mainly for their personaility, and there's nothing like a cocker personality, in bucketfuls, and a long show coat would be a nightmare for a lot of the walks I do.

Me too.  The way they look is probably the last thing on my 'why I love cockers' list - and the list is pretty long.  If my dog is overheating and miserable, it's up to me to find a way of making things easier for them.  And I'd prefer to clip their coats rather than cut down on their exercise.  I know that if you asked mine what they preferred in the summer - long walks or long coats - their reply would be pretty unequivocal.    Obviously, it's different if you are showing your dog but if you just want a good friend to share in everything, I don't see what's wrong in sacrificing glamour for comfort.  

Offline PennyB

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2007, 11:55:50 AM »

Me too.  The way they look is probably the last thing on my 'why I love cockers' list - and the list is pretty long.  If my dog is overheating and miserable, it's up to me to find a way of making things easier for them.  And I'd prefer to clip their coats rather than cut down on their exercise.  I know that if you asked mine what they preferred in the summer - long walks or long coats - their reply would be pretty unequivocal.    Obviously, it's different if you are showing your dog but if you just want a good friend to share in everything, I don't see what's wrong in sacrificing glamour for comfort.  

Plus ours are all woolly mammoths as well so clipping is the only thing to do ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2007, 01:12:53 PM »
One of the teachers at my daughters school as an American Cocker and has it clipped short.  That just seems like sacrilege  :o I can't think for a minute he has it running anywhere particularly rough so I would of thought there must be a compromise.

My groomer told me recently that her experience is that owners who keep their dogs tangle and matt free are the ones who ask for it to be "all cut off" and the people whose dogs have matts are the ones who want their dogs to stay as long as possible (just a tidy up, please)  ::)
She thinks that it is because the people who keep their dogs matt-free know how much time it takes and so when they can't keep on top of it for any reason, they prefer to have the dog clipped short than allow the dog to become uncomfortable and matted  :-\

I am sure that most people who do their research when they chose a cocker do accept that there is a commitment to coat care - but lifestyles change, and if clipping the dog is the best way of keeping it happy and healthy, then to be honest, I think they should be applauded for properly considering their dogs needs, not criticised for what is after all a temporary, cosmetic measure  ;)

If there is any evidence to suggest that clipping a long-haired breed short was detrimental to the welfare of the dog, then of course, the benefits have to be weighed up against the risks  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2007, 01:22:09 PM »

Plus ours are all woolly mammoths as well so clipping is the only thing to do ;)
[/quote]

Ruby's diet not going well then, Penny?  Mammoth Cass sends her sympathies  :005: :005:

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2007, 02:00:17 PM »
One of the teachers at my daughters school as an American Cocker and has it clipped short.  That just seems like sacrilege  :o I can't think for a minute he has it running anywhere particularly rough so I would of thought there must be a compromise.

My groomer told me recently that her experience is that owners who keep their dogs tangle and matt free are the ones who ask for it to be "all cut off" and the people whose dogs have matts are the ones who want their dogs to stay as long as possible (just a tidy up, please)  ::)
She thinks that it is because the people who keep their dogs matt-free know how much time it takes and so when they can't keep on top of it for any reason, they prefer to have the dog clipped short than allow the dog to become uncomfortable and matted  :-\

I am sure that most people who do their research when they chose a cocker do accept that there is a commitment to coat care - but lifestyles change, and if clipping the dog is the best way of keeping it happy and healthy, then to be honest, I think they should be applauded for properly considering their dogs needs, not criticised for what is after all a temporary, cosmetic measure  ;)

If there is any evidence to suggest that clipping a long-haired breed short was detrimental to the welfare of the dog, then of course, the benefits have to be weighed up against the risks  :-\

I don't have a groomer, I do keep my dogs matt and tangle free and I don't want it all cut off! I groom them to how I like them to look to the best of my ability with a coat king and thinners.

The reason I prefer my dogs with longer coats is a personal preference and not because my dogs have matts!

I think your groomer is talking out of the top of her head  ::) What a generalisation!! ::) ::)

I have never criticised anyone for clipping their dogs, or suggested that it was in any way detrimental to a dog and I accept that it is their right to do whatever suits them.

All I have done is express MY preference!

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2007, 02:23:53 PM »

Not really sure what to say to that!  ::)

I prefer the look of the longer coat for my two, (and it isn't because they gets matts) but each to their own  ::)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2007, 03:06:55 PM »
;) Personally I prefer long coats, that's what cocker's have !  and that's part of the deal imho.;)

Which short haired breeds have similar breed traits as cocker's?  ;)

Me too.  The way they look is probably the last thing on my 'why I love cockers' list - and the list is pretty long.  If my dog is overheating and miserable, it's up to me to find a way of making things easier for them.  And I'd prefer to clip their coats rather than cut down on their exercise. I know that if you asked mine what they preferred in the summer - long walks or long coats - their reply would be pretty unequivocal.    Obviously, it's different if you are showing your dog but if you just want a good friend to share in everything, I don't see what's wrong in sacrificing glamour for comfort. 

My dogs Have long coats they are not miserable because of a long coat ,they do go for long walks , they swim and do what any other dog does I do not stop them playing and mucking about  . and as for sacrificing glamour for comfort my dogs are comfortable !

I have a feeling some of you seem to think those of us who take pride in looking after our dogs long coats are not letting them have fun ,and are making life for them hard in the summer months This is not true  , I have Friends with cocker's some clip them some have full coats and the clipped ones get just as hot   :-\ .
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2007, 03:10:23 PM »

Do you agree with your groomer Rachel ? If so, why quote her when you could just say it yourself ? If you don't agree with her why even bother posting what she said... or are you just trying to provoke a reaction ?

Going back to the OP - all it takes is about 10/15 mins a day to keep a Cocker with full coat properly brushed and trimmed, IMO it's no great hardship - with maybe an extra 30 mins here and there every month or so. I never take my three out in the full glare of the summer sun ( I wouldn't if they were clippered off either) - I just walk at times of the day when it's not so hot and let them cool off in the lake. Re the debris they pick up - I suppose it depends where you walk your dogs, I've never found it too much of a problem, even when on holiday in the wilds of Scotland ( apart from one time they got covered in catkins). It's each to their own I guess - personally I prefer a full coat on a Cocker and even with 3 I don't find it difficult to maintain or that it impinges on them enjoying life... far from it.  :D

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2007, 03:13:58 PM »
I'm quite lucky, because bracken has some working cocker mixed in, she has the nice feathering of the show type, but with quite a fine coat elsewhere.

10 minutes of strip combing a day (maybe 3/4 times a week), no matts or tangles and a nice soft coat. She looks a bit like a show cocker that has been clipped short but had the feathering left.

Her coat has a nice shape and at the moment I will continue to strip comb her, but seeing how fluffy some of the monkeys on here are... There would be a part of me that would be tempted to clip them.  

We were told for the Roan coat it is best to strip otherwise the pattern would go pie-bald. Not sure if that is true though
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2007, 04:06:20 PM »
My experience is totally different to Rachel's groomer - my clients who keep their Cockers' coats well groomed and matt free are generally the ones who prefer to keep the coats longer whereas the "short back and sides please" clients are the ones who don't have the time for grooming or prefer a short cut for other reasons. I don't think keeping Cockers with longer coats is detrimental to their welfare or prevents them going for long walks in all weathers - I have often hiked with Cockers in full show coat (show dogs need as much exercise as the next dog ;)) but accept that a shorter cut is more practical for many owners (particularly for those with neutered Cockers whose coats may matt up very quickly). Some of our own Cockers are clipped because they have been neutered and their feathering is cut shorter than dogs we currently show but I don't shave them off - you can have a practical pet trim which still allows a Cocker to look like a Cocker :D In the end it comes down to personal choice - I certainly wouldn't blame anybody with a woolly neutered Cocker choosing to have a short clip (sometimes there is no choice with some coats) but I also don't think it's very fair for those that like a short cut to imply that it is somehow selfish to opt to keep a Cocker in a show style trim ;)

Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2007, 04:35:35 PM »
I agree with Jane, its horses for courses :shades:

I wouldn't want anyone to be criticized for their choice of coat length, I am sure we can all say our dogs are loved, walked and cherished equally :shades:  No matter whether they are clipped or in full coat :luv:

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2007, 05:06:33 PM »
I agree with Jane, its horses for courses :shades:

I wouldn't want anyone to be criticized for their choice of coat length, I am sure we can all say our dogs are loved, walked and cherished equally :shades:  No matter whether they are clipped or in full coat :luv:

:shades: Exactly,Well said Magic Star

Jann  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2007, 05:07:13 PM »
Do you agree with your groomer Rachel ? If so, why quote her when you could just say it yourself ? If you don't agree with her why even bother posting what she said... or are you just trying to provoke a reaction ?

I think I have been misunderstood - the point that my groomer was making was that those people who do take time over their cocker coats, and then realise they CAN'T keep on top of it for whatever reason are more likely in her experience to ask for a "short back and sides" (just like Jane said  ;)) but her experience is that there are a lot of people who have allowed their dogs coat to get matted but then go to the groomer expecting their dog to look like something that has just walked out of the show ring, and complain when the hair is cut shorter  ::)

IMO comments like
One of the teachers at my daughters school as an American Cocker and has it clipped short.  That just seems like sacrilege  :o
will undoubtedly provoke a reaction from those of us who are doing what we consider is the best for our dogs - I have always seen it as just hair, but it's removal seems to provoke as many strong feelings amongst some as removing tails and other body parts........  ::)
I'm sure everyone has different reasons for clipping or keeping their coats short, but condeming one or the other as a violation seems very intolerate and not in the spirit of this forum :(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2007, 06:02:01 PM »
I think I have been misunderstood - the point that my groomer was making was that those people who do take time over their cocker coats, and then realise they CAN'T keep on top of it for whatever reason are more likely in her experience to ask for a "short back and sides" (just like Jane said  ;)) but her experience is that there are a lot of people who have allowed their dogs coat to get matted but then go to the groomer expecting their dog to look like something that has just walked out of the show ring, and complain when the hair is cut shorter  ::)

I think we can all be forgiven for misunderstanding, as that version bears absolutely no relation to your earlier telling of the anecdote... but hey never mind.  ::)