Author Topic: FLUFF  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Jen

• Site Member
FLUFF
« on: October 01, 2003, 10:03:14 AM »
Monty is off to the groomers again tomorrow for phase two.  I was wondering about his fluff on his back ::)....as his hair has grown again - he's gone fluffy again on his back - not as bad as before - but certainly not what a cockers back is meant to look like!!!!
anyway, I was wondering if, after this phase of trimming, with him being over 1 now, whether or not I can expect this puppy fluff to be finally gone ??? - or is there a fair old chance that he'll grow fluffy again? - He's not handstripped but nor his he clippered - I think she uses thinning scissors??? - but not entirely sure here! :-
I will ask at the groomers in the morning - but just wondered what the general opinion was here....(then I can go to the groomer tomorrow and at least look like I know a bit about what I'm asking ;) mmmm hope she's not a COLer or my cover is blown ;))                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
FLUFF
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 01:18:19 PM »
Hi Jen

To a certain degree Monty will always have some FLUFF, this is what us Show lot always strip out to keep them with nice sleek looking backs.  If I don't handstrip Douglas regularly he goes almost black and Bart goes very fluffy.  I must say though I don't notice it so much on Sebastian but he is an Orange Roan :D :D

HTH

Dessie :D :D                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
FLUFF
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 01:21:58 PM »
Even after he's been groomed Jen, put an elastic band around the comb you normally groom him with and this will help the fluff on his back to a minimum :) Or if you have a Spratts 76 comb the better.                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
FLUFF
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 02:40:59 PM »
I've haven't stripped Lotties back at all since Jane groomed her back in early July but I do comb her regularly with a comb with an elastic band threaded through like Mike said.  She still is slightly fluffly though but I can't seem to handstrip her quite like Jane did :o ;D ;)

If the groomer doesn't mind, why don't you stay and watch tomorrow Jen?  You'll probably pick up a few tips on general grooming that you can put into practise between Montys trips to the groomers?

I'm trying to keep on top of Lotties coat myself by doing a little trimming etc. a couple of times a week.  Not too sure exactly what I'm doing ::) ;D but at the end of the day at least she's tidy and I've got no-one judging her (thank goodness :o ;D) for it to really matter.  I might treat her to a real pampering by Jane again one day ;) (if Jane's up for it ;))                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Jen

• Site Member
FLUFF
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 03:54:10 PM »
:o ....so they do continue to get fluffy coats then...I thought that once they grow out of puppy phase the fluff goes with it!!! - not automatically - but after a few grooming sessions...... ::) so am I right in assuming then that, as my boy is not handstripped, that he'll never have that smooth look (or nearly smooth look) that CS's  are supposed to have :- - Monty's coat drives me mad.....he's got so much hair.....I'm so jealous when I see cockers who aren't hair-balls ::) ;)

It's not possible for me to stay and watch at the groomers Mary - but I will ask her advice when I collect him :)
I'll post a B4 n after pic 2morw for you all :)                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
FLUFF
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 04:06:57 PM »
I might treat her to a real pampering by Jane again one day ;) (if Jane's up for it ;))

I'm game if you are Mary - not sure Lottie will be so keen ;D

Jen, unless you have a Cocker with a fine coat, then most of them will get fluffy in between trims, even the ones that are handstripped. I haven't done Rhona for a couple of weeks & already her back is starting to get a little fluffy & if I leave Ruby for a few weeks, she starts to look like a puff ball ;D Of the Cockers I groom, only a handful don't get fluffy between sessions & they're the ones with very fine, quite sparse coats, usually oranges or golds.                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
FLUFF
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 04:44:17 PM »
Now then Jen, *stands with hands on hips* when we had our dog walk you asked me about Monty's back and when I reached down and easily pulled out a tuft I said to you to use either a comb with an elastic band or pluck by hand with rubber gloves...............my words must have got blown away in the wind ;) ;D                    

Offline Jen

• Site Member
FLUFF
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 05:00:00 PM »
Now then Jen, *stands with hands on hips* when we had our dog walk you asked me about Monty's back and when I reached down and easily pulled out a tuft I said to you to use either a comb with an elastic band or pluck by hand with rubber gloves...............my words must have got blown away in the wind ;) ;D

:-[ I know Michele - I am useless.....I have been grroming him as usual with his slicker brush....but have not got around to the ASDA smartprice rubber glove stage yet.... :-[ - don't blame me.....I live in a mad house - and hardly get time to comb my own hair - never mind poor Montys...... :'(
I know that his fluff is ready to "give" - I have obviously been a  bit deluded in thinking that puppy fluff - was just that - but clearly, it's more of a cocker-trait :-

I hope you forgive me for my lack of rubber-gloving - I did treat Monty to a pig ear today ;)                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
FLUFF
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 05:08:44 PM »

:-[ I know Michele - I am useless.....I have been grroming him as usual with his slicker brush....but have not got around to the ASDA smartprice rubber glove stage yet.... :-[ - don't blame me.....I live in a mad house - and hardly get time to comb my own hair - never mind poor Montys...... :'(
I know that his fluff is ready to "give" - I have obviously been a  bit deluded in thinking that puppy fluff - was just that - but clearly, it's more of a cocker-trait :-

I hope you forgive me for my lack of rubber-gloving - I did treat Monty to a pig ear today ;)

All is forgiven Jen, but at least now you know the answer to a sleeker Montymoo :-*                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
FLUFF
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2003, 05:43:16 PM »
I might treat her to a real pampering by Jane again one day ;) (if Jane's up for it ;))

I'm game if you are Mary - not sure Lottie will be so keen ;D

:- Perhaps I chose the wrong word there Jane...treat ::)  Maybe punishment would be more appropriate after she's dug another hole in the lawn ;D                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Karen

• Site Member
FLUFF
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2003, 08:11:11 PM »
don't blame me.....I live in a mad house - and hardly get time to comb my own hair

I know the feeling Jen - you are not alone!!!!! ;D

Kazza, Blue, Tia & Ollie xxx