Author Topic: a question about ears and under front legs  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
a question about ears and under front legs
« on: June 18, 2007, 06:20:27 PM »
I wonder if you can help me out?
As you know I finally bit the bullet and bought some clippers and have started to do Ben myself.  Have to say so far I like how he looks, as he dosn't look like a skinned rabbit anymore - I'm trying to leave him a bit of coat, however after 3 years of being clipped short and with such a curly coat its not easy!!

I would like to know 2 things - first can you see how short his ears are - he has never had 'proper' cocker ears, as usually when he is clipped they are completely stripped off, so have not had the chance to grow.    I know they are very curly but will the feathering on his ears still grow any longer?? at the moment there is about 1/2 inch of hair at the bottom of his ears, and i would love to know if it will grow and more. 

My second question is how do you get under his front legs - into his 'armpits' I've not dared to have a go yet.  i've got both a no 7 and 10 blade - which would you use?

thank you for your help.  Poor Ben has looked at times like a patchwork cocker as I only have a go at a different bit each time - but its coming together now so hopefully I'll soon be able to show you the finished article :005:

I wish I'd been braver and done this years ago!

Bens mum

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Re: a question about ears and under front legs
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 07:48:35 PM »
I've got no advice i'm afraid, i can't figure out armpits either, hoping someone will do an idiots guide! :005:

I just wanted to say what a gorgeous boy he is. :luv: :luv: :luv: He has such an irresistable face.
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 07:52:21 PM »
Thanks Beth -
I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with this clipping lark  :005: :005:
somehow i don't think the groomers in my area need to watch out yet ;)

Bens mum

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 07:59:07 PM »
You can make the ears look naturally longer by loosing some of the hair at the top of the ears, thinnering that will make the ears appear longer for starters.

I find the easiest was to shave under the armpits is to kind of stand the dog up like a bear!!!!! And clip in the arm area, but obviously to do this you will need help so that someone can hold him up.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 12:38:15 AM »
Silkstockings suggestions are good !  :blink:

You can also lift the front leg out to the side (so it looks like he's lifting his front leg to wee  :005:) and shave out the armpit that way. You'll have to lean down to see what you're doing, or sort of turn your head upsidedown. ::) The higher and more out to the side you can get him to lift his leg, the easier it will be for you. If he has mats deep in the armpit, or you are having trouble with getting him to hold his leg out,you can roll the skin to the outside to shave it. Just gently sort of twist the loose skin toward you

Use the #10 for armpits.

Ears probably take the longest time of any body part to grow out, but his should. Just be sure you keep them brushed out and out of food and water.  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 02:19:37 AM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 09:51:01 AM »
Do some cockers naturally have longer or shorter ears? Or is it due to the grooming? I have been stripping Bracken's ears, but should I just be combing them? Hers aren't very long (though she has an element of worker so could be this?)
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 10:28:52 AM »
Yes there is a variation in ear length and because Bracken has some worker she might have inherited a slighter shorter ear.  I would just keep doing what you're doing and if you feel they start to get a bit top heavy you could run the thinning scissors through them to take the weight off the top.

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 01:10:18 PM »
Thanks, haven't tried thinning scissors yet. Might take a look and see whether I need to do this.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk