Author Topic: how long?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
how long?
« on: October 12, 2003, 12:22:29 PM »
Hi Folks,

A question for you grooming guru's out there.

How short should the fur on the back of a cocker be?

I recently took Millie to se my breeder and she asked if I had clipped her back - to which I replied "never! it's all been stripped out". She said that I had be a bit over zealous with my plucking and that I should let her fur grow longer.
So I have ceased all plucking  ::) and her coat on her back is now considerably longer, and also darker.

Before when her fur was shorter on her back it lay smooth, however now it has gotten longer ,bits of it (particuarly around her neck) are kinda sticking up in swirly tufts. Also there is a general "swirliness" (excuse my made up word please!) all over her back, it doesn't lie smooth anymore, although it is still soft and silky.

Any advice on taming her tufts and the length the fur on the back/sides should be would be gratefully received.

TIA

Kel  :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
how long?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 05:41:09 PM »

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
how long?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 06:03:19 PM »
hehe no problem. ;)

I would think that a groomer who hand strips cockers is likely to know how best to groom and trim them  - Maybe you could ask to see pictures of her clients or see if you could meet a couple, or ask if it would be ok to go down for a visit prior to booking in your cocker, see her in action etc That way you can be sure and happy that she will trim your cocker in the "right way" for you  :)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
how long?
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 05:54:42 PM »
Kelly, everyone who shows Cockers has their own way of doing things :) Mary was saying at the show on Sunday how differently all the dogs were trimmed - some breeders strip the hair very close & others leave it longer. I would guess you have to find a happy medium with Millie, not too stripped out that she looks clipped & not too long that the coat sticks out or starts to grow in waves ;)                    
Jane

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
how long?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 08:13:12 PM »
aahh okies .. so there's no particular "standard" as such - hmm I'd better get plucking again then... though not quite so vigourously  ;D ::)
Thanks Jane