Author Topic: Griffin says Grooming's for girls!  (Read 1267 times)

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
Griffin says Grooming's for girls!
« on: July 26, 2007, 09:16:40 AM »
Ok, Griffin is a hard  manly man and there is no way he will tolerate being combed or having his nails clipped.  I've tried leaving the nail clippers around and he's happy to lick, chew, play with them and ignore them.  And he doesn't mind having one or even two nails done.  It's more like he gets bored and doesn't want to stand still anymore. The same with the comb.  He just looks at me and says "don't start that bussiness agiain!" and walks off.  He'll tolerate me playing with his ears and feet, so long as its not with an instrument.  Any ideas?  Oh, I've been putting him on a stool (plenty big enough but not that high) and he stands there for a second or two but jumps off with the same look at me.

Thanks  ;)
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline jools

• Site Member
Re: Griffin says Grooming's for girls!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:33:55 AM »
I found an ironing board a good grooming table for my girls when they were wee. I used to wait until they were really tired before I started to groom them. Keep the sessions short - lots of praise. You may want to give him something to chew while you're grooming him.

I must admit - have never had to clip my girls' nails  :-\

Hope this helps
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 09:58:20 AM »
Agree with Jools, keep the sessions short, just a couple of minutes at a time to start with  ;) but whilst he's having his grooming sessions do NOT let him get away with any nonsense. If you let him jump off and run away then he'll think it's OK to do that. If you let him get away with it now he will get the upper hand and you could have a grooming battle on your hands.

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 10:14:34 AM »
Thanks.  Will get him up on the ironing board.  At the moment a couple of minutes would be very good going.  He gets fed up after 30 seconds!  >:(  All I want to do at the moment is get him used to it so I'm just trying to do a once over with the slicker, comb his ears and feathers and give the inside of his ears with cotton wool.  His nails need doing because they are really curly, npot to mention sharp! Will have a play to tire him out then stick him onthe ironing board...I think we have one somewhere, is it that big white thing on legs?

Offline debz

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 10:21:51 AM »
Hi a table with a rubber car mat is good so he will feel safe i used to give Tom something to chew like a pigs ear or his own brush which he would hold get him up there for couple of mins everyday it work for Tom i have a table now with a grooming arm which i'm getting my friends puppy use to working well with him too Tom will just sit there now it's great didn't take him long few mths  ;)

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 11:25:30 AM »
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's a grooming arm?

Offline debz

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 02:18:05 PM »
It attaches to the table with a noose(like adjustable lead) on so you can put it round there neck some have 2 one for neck and the other you put there back legs through i prefer the double for my friends pup but mine only has single didn't worry when i bought it as i don't use it on Tom anyway Hope this helps i'm not sure of all the techincal names some1 will correct me if i'm wrong i'm sure :005:

Offline MontyMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 11:36:12 PM »
Ironing board.....all the way!! 
Monty is/was a wriggler to groom on the floor but on the ironing board he's stands sooooo still-mainly because my ironing board gets a wobble on if he does wriggle....so he doesn't!!  :005:

Offline wendline

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 11:34:11 AM »
I find in the bath tub works well seems to calm him, but maybe like the ironing board he knows if he wriggles he slips! It was the only place I could safely get ear drops in him recently when he had an infection.  Woody also thinks that grooming is very girly and only to be tolerated with lashings of treats!