Author Topic: Trimming Feet- Pet & Show Style  (Read 29960 times)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Trimming Feet- Pet & Show Style
« on: October 22, 2003, 05:41:28 PM »
I have been asked by another member if I could post some pics of feet, so I have done a before & after. This is how I trim 'pet' feet, short & tidy but not like starfish  :)
Hope it helps anyway ;D

THIS IS BEFORE

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 05:44:34 PM »
and this is after.
I know it looks like he has long black nails but this is his colouring and I didn't want to fiddle with the photo, if you look at the before pic again you can see he has two black streaks on his foot  ;D   

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 06:31:58 PM »
Erm, Dallas's foot looks like picture no 1 and thats AFTER being groomed :-[ :'(

Guess its back to the drawing board ::)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 06:48:12 PM »
are the feet cut with thinning scissors ot normal? I hope normal as that ia what i used on Sally ???                    
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 07:25:45 PM »
Erm, Dallas's foot looks like picture no 1 and thats AFTER being groomed :-[ :'(

Guess its back to the drawing board ::)

;D ;D

It seems every time I cut Lotties they end up shorter than before and I'm now getting to the stage where they look like this most of the time now ;)  I think it's difficult for us novices at first because it looks quite brutal initially so we ease off slightly (well, I did ;D).  I now trim Lotties every week and find I focus in on other dogs paws ::)  Ended up trimming my sisters two dogs the other week as I couldn't stand watching them plod round with all this fur on their feet :-[

I use normal scissors at the moment...would like to know if this is correct too???                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 07:48:05 PM »
Yep,  straight scissors is what to use ;D                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2003, 08:22:03 PM »
Mary's right - it can look rather drastic after being used to the "hairy" Big Foot style ;D but you do get used to the neat look and you also notice a difference when it's wet - much less wet gets brought in ;D

Gill - you simply need to be more daring ;D. The big thing with the paws is it does grow back so quickly and you can't do that much damage if you do cut it short. That is unless you did what I did once and cut a huge chunk out as Jasp moved his foot just as I was snipping ;D just before a show too ;D I did manage to disguise it a bit.

Hold the scissors vertically and trim as close to the foot as is possible. Only use really sharp scissors or it won't work. It can also help to put the tip of the paw right up to the edge of the table, with the claw edges just going over - then you can use the best part of the scissor blade.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2003, 10:56:52 PM »
I also use the nails as a guide. If they need clipping its best to do that first and then I trim the hair back from about half way down the nail. For the hair between the nails you can hold the foot from underneath (by gently pushing a finger between a pad) so that is splays slightly and then trim the hair to the same length as the rest.
You will also notice that on the pet trim I take more away at the back of the foot, you can still leave the feathering long but by tidying here it won't be dragging in the wet.

Just out of interest this dog was last trimmed 10 weeks ago. His coat doesn't grow especially fast but as you can see from the first pic by the time 10 weeks has passed they are still pretty hairy. Thats why I trim as short as I do..... to make it last a bit. If I didn't they'd be back to looking like Hairy Jeremy in 3 weeks ;D

Pam, I trim vertically around the foot, for the most part anyway :-
but I'm sure you & Jane and anyone else will agree that we are all different in our style of trimming anyway ;D                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2003, 10:57:15 PM »
I use normal scissors for the feet to and I do Buttys feet about once a week as they seem to grow really quick  :o ::)                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 01:47:01 AM »
Bells feet grow sooooooo long . shes got thick fur on her legs to i mean really thick :-[ i need some help really if i get her professionly done then i can see at least what needs to be cut and how long . but i dont know any cocker groomers here :'(
 anyway today i tried to cut bellas feet and shes such a wriggler that she wont stand still for me . i try to cut her feet she sits down  ::) anyone else have this problem and how do i fix it?                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 08:49:39 AM »
Gill - you simply need to be more daring

Well, what do you know - I woke up in a daring kinda mood today ;) so will give it a go later on(once I've tried to fix my disasterous attempt at doing Vegas's cheeks ::)).                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 04:12:33 PM »
Ok, I've had a wee shot and I would just like to check my progress before I go any further :-[  I've cut back to the tips of the nails and think I've cut as much as I can(though I did say that last time ::)). Should I remove hair from the top of his foot cos its just looking nothing like Dexters ??? I know I haven't got the overall shape of the paw right but hoping that will come with practice :- (this is where you all go "of course it will Gill" ;D)     

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 05:23:30 PM »
Looking good Gill :D perhaps this pic of Otis's foot will help you a bit better as I know you are wanting to achieve more of a 'show' foot.
Handy hint.....remember the breed standard says "cat like feet" and if you clench your fist and place your knuckles on the surface.....that is something like what you should try to achieve.
Hopefully the pic will show what I mean ::)
Note also that for show dogs you don't trim as much of hair away at the back of the foot  ;)     

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2003, 10:34:27 PM »
Call me daft but its got a lot clearer having a picture of a black foot to refer to :P I'll do the other 3 tomorrow and he can have a matching set ;D