Author Topic: Novice Handstripper  (Read 1219 times)

Offline tigerlilly

• Site Member
Novice Handstripper
« on: July 31, 2007, 11:39:42 PM »
 I would like to handstrip my 18mth old solid who has been previously clippered. Is there anyway that I can make this a pain free experience, particularly on his head!!!  :o

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Novice Handstripper
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 12:52:48 AM »
It isn't painful for them, I just got done doing some stripping on Barkley, he curled up on the table and went to sleep  :shades:

Just take a very small amount in between the thumb and forefinger of one hand and lift that tuft up and away from the coat. Sort of fan that bit out like  a hand of cards. If the light is right, you will see the fuzzy bits sticking out, this is what you pluck till it's even with the guard hairs (the smoother ones on top)  You can also pinch the skin up and hold a bit of skin and pluck with the other hand. You do the same for all parts of the body.

The key is to work tiny sections at a time, and work in a line or some type of pattern, a section of the dog at a time. Don't expect to finish the dog in one go, it will take about a week of working about an hour at a time.

Good luck!  :D
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 09:12:26 AM »
I'd just add that if your solid has been repeatedly clipped, you may not find the hair at all easy to strip, particularly on the head where clipped solids often develop thick, curly top knots. If this is the case with your dog, you can still obtain a reasonably natural finish (ie less harsh than clipping) by using thinning scissors rather than attempting to hand strip the head.
Jane

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:42:22 AM »
If you want to take the easy way out like I have, you get a Furminator, which does the same as hand stripping but is much easier to use and less time consuming.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Furminator-Deshedding-Tool-Comb-Brush-Dog-Cat-Grooming_W0QQitemZ300136127760QQihZ020QQcategoryZ20751QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 10:46:18 AM »
I have borrowed a Furminator and didn't like it at all - didn't seem to work well on the Cockers I tried although I have a friend who swears by it for her Golden Retrievers. Think it works best for dogs with an undercoat & I do a lot of neutered Cockers who don't really have undercoats.
Jane

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 11:21:06 AM »
I have borrowed a Furminator and didn't like it at all - didn't seem to work well on the Cockers I tried although I have a friend who swears by it for her Golden Retrievers. Think it works best for dogs with an undercoat & I do a lot of neutered Cockers who don't really have undercoats.

I find it works great on my American, but then he might have a different coat. The other alternative is a Coat King, which seems to work well with English cockers.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline tigerlilly

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 04:42:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice I will give it a try-I just cringe as he seems to be most unhappy at the movement around his head. I will give a furminator a go. I am just so annoyed   with myself at having him clippered in the first instance!He has not been clippered for apprx 3 - 4 months and prior to that only twice. I have everything crossed hand stripping will work as he really is gorgeous (not biased or anything)
Thanks again