Author Topic: Do you think I am being silly?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
Do you think I am being silly?
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:10:31 PM »
Having two working cockers we haven't had to do a lot of grooming to keep them looking smart but since Woofie was neutered last Xmas his coat has just got out of control so we have looked for a groomer here in Derby.

We haven't been able to get any recommendations so my OH has phoned round all those in the yellow pages and after half a dozen 'can't fit you in for weeks' has found someone who can fit Woofie in on Friday - at her house - and we have to leave him.

The OH says I am being silly but I don't want to leave my Woofalump with a complete stranger - do you think I am being silly?

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
Re: Do you think I am being silly?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 10:21:24 PM »
I don't think you're being silly. I wouldn't leave mine with a total stranger either. My dogs' groomer has become a friend over the time they've been going to her & I stay & help with my 2.  How do you want him grooming? do you want him handstripped or clipped?  My groomer is in Woodhouse Eaves near Loughborough, so not a million miles from you in Derby. I can give you her number if you like?

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 10:26:19 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I know absolutely nothing about grooming but as Woofie isn't show I just want him to be presentable and cool, clipping will be fine.

I can't drive so I have had to ask my OH to sort out the grooming for me - which in his eyes he has done. He can't understand why I don't want to leave Woofie with a stranger. He says she wouldn't be advertising in the yellow pages if she wasn't reputable ... but as I haven't had a personal recommendation I am quite anxious.

I don't think he would be prepared to travel as far as Woodhouse Eaves but thank you very much for offering your groomers tel number.

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 08:59:57 AM »
If you just want him cool and presentable, why not get yourself some clippers? I got mine on ebay and they've paid for themselves about 3 times already.  ;)

Not much skill required (honest!) and you wouldn't have to leave him with anyone. Also if he begins to get stressed you can do the cut over a few days, which is what i do sometimes with Jarvis. :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 04:23:05 PM »
The lady that clips my Molly is very good.  I think she lives in Spondon or Borrowash and comes to your house, she charges about £16 I think.  If you want her number I'll let you have it.

I admit I have clippers and can keep the "fluff" on Mollys back under control in between trims, but I can't sort out her legs and undercarriage. 

Lynne
mollypooch

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 05:02:44 PM »
Nope, I don't think you are silly - it's one of the main reasons why I have decided to learn to groom my American Cocker myself.  :D
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk