Author Topic: Worried about 1st grooming session - UPDATED WITH PHOTOS  (Read 4140 times)

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
Worried about 1st grooming session - UPDATED WITH PHOTOS
« on: September 03, 2007, 12:32:30 PM »
Hi,

Sam is off to get his 1st hair cut on Wednesday.  My OH and I were discussing this last night and he is worried that he wont settle and wants to go in with him while he is having his hair cut to keep him calm!!   ph34r

I am made of harder stuff and said he would just need to be fine and there is no way that my OH can go in with him!!!

Would be quite alright to put some rescue remedy in his water before he goes to try and relax him, or are we (OH really) being too over protective?

Any advice that anyone can offer would be greater appreciated and you will be rewarded with some lovely puppy photos!!   ;)

Thanks

Jen

Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Re: Worried about 1st grooming session
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 01:48:34 PM »
I think you should drop him off and go back when the groomer tells you.

Sam will sense your anxiety and aprehension if you are there and will probably cope better if left

Janey

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 03:29:39 PM »
I think you should drop him off and go back when the groomer tells you.

Sam will sense your anxiety and aprehension if you are there and will probably cope better if left

Janey

agree with Janey - at the end of the day its the groomers job so Im sure they're used to coping with all situations and all manners and temperements of dogs. IMO if you are there you are just likely to distract Sam and he will probably find it harder to settle  :D
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 03:59:02 PM »
Aww wee sole  :luv: If its any consilation, some of my day care dogs get clipped etc while they are with me at day care as the get too stressed at home or in a shop, they are abs fine  ;)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 04:41:58 PM »
Maybe your OH has separation anxiety?  :005:

Very few dogs do better if their owners are present, it's best to just drop the dog off and let the groomer handle things. I take it you've found a groomer you are comfortable with?

Would be quite alright to put some rescue remedy in his water before he goes to try and relax him, or are we (OH really) being too over protective?

Won't hurt at all, in fact you can put a few drops directly in his mouth just before you leave the house. That way you'll be sure he got them  ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Bev_M

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 06:48:40 PM »

What rescue remedy is that - only ever heard of Bachs for people, lol

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 06:52:16 PM »

same stuff. Works brill for dogs too! ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 06:54:41 PM »

Bach Flower Remedies are not just for people - I was recently bought a copy of Bach Flower Remedies for Dogs - the same remedies can be used to great effect in pets as well as humans  :D
I also recently discovered "Emergency Essence" which is the Jan de Vries Flower Essence equivalent to Bach's Rescue Remedy  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Bev_M

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 06:58:10 PM »

thats really useful to know - thanks

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 07:49:42 PM »
Spanielcrazy - i think you might be right about the separation anxiety!!   :rofl1: :rofl1:

Looks like I will now be taking Sam to the groomers as something has cropped up at work with the OH, so no worries anymore!!  woop woop!!  (just thought that sounds bad, of course i'll miss him!!)

Will need to nip to asda to get some rescue remedy!!

Thanks everyone for your advice, it's greatly appreciated.

Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline loujo

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 07:57:43 PM »
Sam will be fine.  I think sometimes it's better not to be there when they are getting trimmed as they are not always looking for you.  Are you going back to Sam's breeder to get him trimmed or are you going to a groomers?
Louise xxx
(and Robbie 10yrs old and Alfie 7yrs old)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 08:00:54 PM »

Will need to nip to asda to get some rescue remedy!!

I'm sure that a couple of drops in OH's water will make him much better!  :005:

As the others have said, groomers are going to be used to first timers - look forward to the before and after photos

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 09:38:30 AM »
Sam will be fine.  I think sometimes it's better not to be there when they are getting trimmed as they are not always looking for you.  Are you going back to Sam's breeder to get him trimmed or are you going to a groomers?

I never thought of going back to the breeder's, but it's a 2 hour drive there and back!  He is going to Wizard of Paws over in the south side of Glasgow.  They let us take Sam in twice for him to get used to the staff and all the noises.  They also popped him up on the grooming table and gave him a brush just to see how he coped and he seemed fine.  1st time he wasn't really sure, but 2nd time he was fine.

I am completely fine with him going, as my last dog (pomeranian) had to be groomed quite regular.  The only reason he is not going to the same groomers is that it has been taken over and they crate them when they are finished.  I know it's better than them all running about, but with Sam refusing to even go his at home, I didn't want to add to the stress.

JaspersMum - I think I might just have to slip some of this into his tea!!!   :005: :005:

Offline loujo

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:42:44 AM »
I've heard of Wizard of Paws, they seem to be good.  I think one or two other people on COL take their dogs there to be trimmed.

Make sure you get some before and after pics.  I remember Robbie getting trimmed for the first time, such a difference.
Louise xxx
(and Robbie 10yrs old and Alfie 7yrs old)

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 09:44:45 AM »
Yeah, I remember someone did say a while back that their dogs get groomed there.  I have loads of photos of him, but I think I might have to take some more tonight!!   :005:

I probably wont recognise him when I get him back  :lol: