Author Topic: Help with comb sizes?  (Read 841 times)

Offline Cass

• Site Member
Help with comb sizes?
« on: September 23, 2007, 11:43:26 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the Oster comb sizes to equal the blade sizes, as in Michele's clipping guide?

Have bought the Oster combs (set of 7), and I'm totally confused by the sizes! :-\ 

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Help with comb sizes?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 12:58:48 AM »
The comb sizes are going to be longer than the clipper blade sizes as the combs sit on top of the blade, so make the blade ride higher in the coat. I don't really think there is a correspondence to blade sizes then.

An easy test is to take the comb, not attached to the clippers, and run it though the dogs hair, against the skin. The amount of hair sticking up from the comb is the amount of hair that will be taken off with that size comb. Do that with each comb till you find one that will give you the length you want.

Here is a chart of comb attachment sizes, and how long the hair would be after using:

http://thebladeguyz.com/images/SnapOnCombSpecs.pdf
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 04:33:09 PM »
sorry, probably a stoopid questions coming up...

I have bought an Oster 2 speed Golden A5, and have just ordered a #10 blade to use on my working girl, do i have to have a snap on comb as well???

As shes not show type, its really just a utilitarian cut I'm after; ears, trousers, undercarriage and bottom...

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 01:21:31 AM »
A #10 blade is pretty short, think of the hair on her muzzle--that short. It's great for faces, feet, ears (insides and if you want to shave half way down the outside, American style) privates and bum, but it's awfully short for feathering. Probably better to handscissor.

The combs are being used on the body of the dog, and there are many different comb sizes so you can pretty much do what you want. If you are happy with the hair on her body and just want to tidy up ears and privates then the #10 blade will be fine. The combs are sold in sets or individually and are pretty inexpensive if you change your mind later
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 10:59:50 AM »
A #10 blade is pretty short, think of the hair on her muzzle--that short. It's great for faces, feet, ears (insides and if you want to shave half way down the outside, American style) privates and bum, but it's awfully short for feathering. Probably better to handscissor.

The combs are being used on the body of the dog, and there are many different comb sizes so you can pretty much do what you want. If you are happy with the hair on her body and just want to tidy up ears and privates then the #10 blade will be fine. The combs are sold in sets or individually and are pretty inexpensive if you change your mind later

yes thats it, just a tidyup really, and to tackle some of the longer hair on her bot and ears etc!
Thanks for that, will try without a comb, and have a review after the first tidy up!  :D