Author Topic: A quick question  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
A quick question
« on: November 03, 2007, 10:01:16 PM »
Ok, Maddi is my first shoe type and is awful hairy!!

She gets brushed everyday, but I have been advised not to get her done professionally til she is a year old (opinions welcome),

She gets really bad mats under her arms, sorry, front legs.  Can I trim there?

Thanks for any help!

Linz

Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Re: A quick question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:07:41 PM »
yes you can trim there, you could actually clipper the arm pit area which stops knots and matts, but you cant see that she is baldy under there!!

erm as for not being groomed until she is a year, not sure about that tbh :o! You can defiently trim round her feet, and I'm guessing she probably has quite a top knot going on as well.............. :005: my dogs were trimmed before they were a year, and there puppy coat was stripped/coat kindged.

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 10:15:54 PM »
Top knot!  I'd call it a cute,m beautiful wee afro!!   :luv:
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 12:46:50 PM »

It's good to start getting them used to scissors as soon as possible - as Lisa says on a puppy you can tidy up the paws, top knot, tail, armpits... also the ear canals need to be kept free of hair to allow air circulation. The puppy fluff can start to 'give' any time from 5/6 months onwards, I think it's unlikely you'd have to wait until after 12 months for the 1st full trim... she'd likely be a big haired, freaky yeti by then if you do.  ph34r It's best to find a groomer who will strip out the puppy coat (or use a coat king) rather than clip it off - you'll get a much nicer finish and the fur won't grow back curly. Or you could give it a go yourself... all the info on what tools you need and how to use them is on this section of the board.  :D

Offline Vivienne

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 01:50:04 PM »
I took Whistler my show type for his first stripping at 6 months. Second time at about 7.5 months and again next week at 9 months. Someone recommended a matt stripper which i got from pet city Sunday and its fantastic for under his "arms" and we have cleared all his matts now.
Our groomer did say it would take a while to get his coat right as he was only a pup, she stripped him until he got "upset" and then stopped, second time he was a lot happier so third time lucky I hope to see his "true" colours as he is almost all black currently. I was told not to have him clippered and leave his coat until after 12 months, but the groomer was happy to start him bit by bit.

Viv

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 04:33:38 PM »
Top knot!  I'd call it a cute,m beautiful wee afro!!   :luv:

Oh........we definitely need pictures!  ;) ;)