Author Topic: How do we get a glossy coat?  (Read 3989 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
How do we get a glossy coat?
« on: January 25, 2004, 02:28:18 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone had any products that they use to make their dogs coat glossy? Dallas's coat is still very dull looking and feels quite coarse to touch. I've tried Vitapet Conditioning Oil and Viacutan(not at the same time obv) and laid off the baths a bit but nothing seems to help. I've not used any grooming tools on him other than a slicker, comb and chalk so don't think its anything I'm doing wrong :?  Hes fed on Burns and most other people say their dogs coats have never looked so shiny since being on that but its not made the slightest bit of difference to his(or Brooks for that matter - hes always had a dry flaky coat too but I put that down to 11 years worth of clipping :?) Only Vegas has the nice smooth coat - hes had that since he was a puppy.

Another question I wanted to ask was how to get the feathering straight :?:  I can brush Dallas's feathering straight once hes had a bath but when he dries, it goes all funny...not quite sure how to describe it other than it's like it shrivels up :?  That probably doesn't make any sense :lol: If only we had straighteners for pooches :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Nat

• Site Member
    • http://www.crazycockers.homestead.com
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 07:18:32 PM »
Hi Gill

I use the JDS shampoo, and "Perfect Coat" conditioning rinse, which seems to work well with my lot., in fact i bathed Grace and India today and they have a lovely shine on them, but I just used the shampoo this time....

I blow dry mine, so as im drying them im brushing them at the same time which seems to keep the feathering straight.  Some people just let their dogs dry naturally, but with mine having thick coats, I like to blow dry them ..  so not much more help  :wink:                    
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels
www.crazycockers.homestead.com

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 08:45:51 PM »
Have you tried 'The Stuff'?  I put it on after the conditioner (just an ordinary conditioner from Diamond Edge) when they are still wet and then blow dry.  Then I put a tiny, tiny bit on when they are dry to finish off.   Seems to do the trick.  Candy is shinier than Georgia but Georgia stiill has a bit of puppy fluff.

Loraine  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 09:26:23 PM »
Hi Gill

Morgan's back is quite shiny but his feathering is shrivelled when it dries out after a bath - it almost goes into ringlets  :)  No wonder everyone thinks he's a girl!  
If drying it with a hairdryer is the only option he'll just have to stay the way he is 'cos he throws a wobbly when I use it on my own hair so I'd dread to think what he'd be like if I tried to put it near him :shock: .  I have never tried any products to sort it out but if you find anything that works I'd be interested in it too  :)

Shirley  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 09:58:29 PM »
Hey Shirley - great pictures of Morgan :P  He's looking great -  did you managed to get him looking like that using the coat king alone?

Anyway, I've never thought of using conditioner on him. I just use Shaws Black Coat shampoo. And funnily enough, this morning was the first time I used the hairdryer on him but apart from the one holding the dryer, all my other limbs were being used trying to pin him down :twisted:  so don't know how much success I'll have with that one :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2004, 11:34:23 PM »
Conditioner will definitely help Gill as will blowdrying the hair straight (if you can keep Dallas on the table of course :wink:) There is also a product called "Liquid Silk" which I use now & again - you only put a tiny amount on your fingers & then apply it to the coat. It works a treat & gives a lovely shine :) You can order it from Hub International (http://www.hubint.com/)- look under Coat Oils & Serums                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 12:04:33 AM »
Conditioner will definitely help Gill as will blowdrying the hair straight (if you can keep Dallas on the table of course :wink:) There is also a product called \"Liquid Silk\" which I use now & again - you only put a tiny amount on your fingers & then apply it to the coat. It works a treat & gives a lovely shine :) You can order it from Hub International (http://www.hubint.com/)- look under Coat Oils & Serums

and it smells devine too  :wink:  :D                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 06:58:16 PM »
Thanks Gill,

Yes, I just use the coatking and thinning scissors on Morgan - I tried the handstipping (don't know how many pairs of rubber gloves I cut up :? ) but he'd get fed up after about five minutes and I wasn't getting anywhere.  He hated it, I was obviously plucking like a sissy :oops:  and he didn't look any different so I gave up.  We're well out of reach of any shows so the only place we're heading for is the next walk and the nearest muddy puddle :twisted: .  I just want to keep him looking neat and tidy (between walks -that is).  We're gradually de-fluffing the legs so he's not quite as hairy now as he was in those pics.

Think I might go for some of the 'Liquid Silk' that Jane and Michele recommend just to see if it makes a difference - reds are meant to be the easiest coats to keep but the curly legs make Morgan look a bit scruffy at times.

Let us know how it goes with the hairdryer next time.  Have to admit I had a good laugh imagining you trying to keep him still - I'd have no luck if it was my monster :D .                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 09:39:44 AM »
Hi Shirley, no advice but I just wanted to say he's gorgeous! I love his colouring, I really wanted one that colour, he's beautiful.

And I'm thoroughly jealous you live where you do, we are in suburbia and I hate it!

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2004, 12:51:06 PM »
Just seen this Shona,

Thank you very much, Morgan is blushing  :D
You wouldn't want to be here today as it's pouring rain and bitter cold outside. Lovely to walk here on a nice day but right now I'm waiting for a break in the weather before I take Morgan for a walk, otherwise he'll end up drying off in the kitchen for the rest of the afternoon  :?