Author Topic: First time at groomers  (Read 2815 times)

Offline barb

• Site Member
  • Come Dancing!
Re: First time at groomers
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 09:41:46 AM »
Aaaaw she's so pretty!  :luv:
Her hair cut is just right, I hope we can find a nice groomer for Pippa when she's bigger!
Barb

Tip-toeing through the tulips!
Barb and Pippa

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 03:40:21 PM »
Black floor - worst ever!!  Shows every little wet paw / foot print....... ph34r

Tell me about it - think we have the same one!  :005:

Offline busterdan

• Site Member
  • Ollie - The Hyper Cocker
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 10:46:48 AM »
She is absolutely beautiful.... I love her vibrant colouring.... (I won't be showing Ollie.... he already thinks shes is "a bit of a looker")  :005:

And very nicely trimmed too... wont be long before she needs it done again though Amanda....

We've decided to buy all the combing/stripping stuff and do it ourselves... how successful we'll be remains to be seen - but I want Ollie to say straight haired and wavey, rather than have a more wooly looking coat.... to be honest the cost of grooming every few weeks (£30 around here) makes the DIY option more of a necessity.

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 12:07:23 PM »
Glad to read you had a good experience at the groomers.  I'm hoping for the same.

Daisy (8 months) will have her first visit early Feb.  Having phoned round a good deal of grooming parlours, I was aghast at the variety in their responses.   ph34r  Some would not entertain hand stripping at all, some were totally money orientated and couldn't book me in quickly enough, others told me point blank that I was wasting my money with stripping and that clipping would be quicker, easier and would be my end result anyway at 8 months.  Perhaps they might be right, but "customer service" was not part of their training!.  Frankly, it was disappointing.

Only one asked me about Daisy's character, coat and did not mention money at all.  Guess which groomer I picked?!!!   ;)   She said that she would firstly like to meet Daisy and assess her coat to see if hand stripping was going to be right for her or not.  She said that the first few visits would be simply building up Daisy's confidence.  What a difference!  It was a joy to talk to someone who had my puppy's best interest at heart, rather than just telling me what they were going to do.  The groomer I chose also said that if Daisy could not be stripped, she would still be able to get a nice Cocker show look with hand scissors, so it wasn't a case of clipping or nothing.

Every night Daisy and I have a "grooming hour" .  She loves the attention (and treats!) and I have stepped up the (pretend) scissor work to get her used to the noise, which she doesn't really like.  At present I just trim her paws - which are HUGE!  But with this dreadful wet weather, the woolly mammoth look just isn't practical.  I don't want an "oven ready " effect, but anything has got to be better than the present! 

The final straw came when someone actually asked me what breed she was.  I've never reached for a Yellow Pages more quickly!

Nearer the time I'll take some Before and After photos, but as she's a very dark Blue Roan, it's hard to tell one end from the other right now....

Kay

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 07:40:29 PM »
Hi Kay,

Wow you had a task finding a nice groomer  ph34r I was very lucky in that there are a couple of COL's who live not far from me so I asked them for some recommendations and the lady I got recommended is literally a mile up the road.  She has a cocker herself but does grooming for all types of breeds. 

She was just so nice with Poppy as well - just tidying her up and getting her used to the whole experience.  I have to say that Poppy was an  :angel: though - Very proud mum!

Good luck with your first visit and defo need pics - any excuse!

Amanda & Poppy x

Offline Lizzy B

• Site Member
  • The only man for me!
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 09:42:21 PM »
Poppy looks gorgeous! I am so disappointed! Bailey is over 5 months now, but he doesn't look anything like needing a trim in the near or distant future!  >:(The only bits of him that are long are his legs which are woolly! I suppose it will save me a fortune, but I wanted him to be really hairy! Not that I don't love him to bits just as he is.

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 02:41:33 PM »
Oh me oh my LizzyB - be careful what you wish for!!!  I have an INCREDIBLY hairy, very dark, blue roan, 8 month old pup and her hair/fur grows like weeds!   :luv:  When dry, she looks like she's just come out of the tumble drier and everyone's convinced she's hideously overweight.  However, with all the rain lately, when they see her after a wet walk over the fields, she's as slender as a rake!!! 

I do love grooming her, which is just as well, because it's a nightly procedure before bed time, to keep on top of all the possibly matting and knots.  Mostly I find half the field buried somewhere under her tummy and in her back legs!

There are times when I wistfully think of getting a whippet next time.....but only wistfully!  :luv:   :luv:

Kay