Author Topic: trimming the tail?  (Read 2148 times)

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
trimming the tail?
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:25:45 AM »
Lily is coming up for 6 months, so I'm starting to think of a proper show trim for her  :o

I'm wondering what is generally being done with the tails in terms of grooming?  I dont want her to look even more out of place than she already will (poor thing) because I havent trimmed her tail in the style that is 'fashionable'.  The breed standard seems to say keep the feathering (in keeping with the coat).  Storm's I trim back where it would be docked, tip the end and fan the feathering (like a setter/retreiver).  I also remove any stragglers from the top of the tail.  Would this be 'correct'?

I heard some people are stripping/trimming the tail competely (like the american cockers are doing)...so back end movement can be seen?  Is this what is generally being done?

I prefer the tail like Storm's is, but I dont want to trim Lily's like that if she will be the only one sporting a flag on the end of her tail.  Any advice would be very much appreciated  :blink:

edited to add: sorry mods...I should have put this under grooming...my apologies.

Offline LinsR

• Site Member
Re: trimming the tail?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 01:07:20 PM »
well this also caused me a big headache and I think it has for many!

When the hair was growing it would curl round the tail, but i left it how ever much i was tempted to cut it.

You are right, some people are cutting all the hair off the tail, I have left a slight amount of feathering so that the tail doesn't stand out like a sore thumb, and so it is in keeping with her feathers on the rest of her body.

My pup is not  keen on me holding the tail so when stacked on the floor i prop her bottom up and leave her tail wagging.

Everybody has different views and it is up to you. I waited and went to a few shows before I decided on or off........ once cut it will take ages to grow.

good luck  :D

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 03:28:28 PM »
I can only speak for the Americans where the tail is generally shaved in showdogs... Looks awful like a pipe cleaner has been stuck on. But Jesse's sister who is a show dog has a feathery tail and she qualified for Crufts - so it doesn't seem to stop dogs from winning.

Personally, although Jesse is essentially in a show clip (with full coat), I tweak things here and there for my own likings... tail is one of them. I like them feathery and that's how he is going to keep it.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline isaka

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »
Hi, at the Spanish spaniel show, they were showing puppies as you described
"trimmed back where it would be docked, tip the end and fan the feathering (like a setter/retreiver)"
and the top "stripped" back in keeping with the topline.

This has caused me lots of problems as well, as the long tail is quite new here, only obligtory in 2 regions, and I haven't seen may other pups with long tails until this last show. So we've been showing "al naturel", thinned out with the thinning scissors  along the top because it was resembling a "loo brush" and tipping the end. Now I will trimm back where it would be docked as this certainly looks neater.
I think everybody here is watching everybody else to see what looks best! We are all on a learning curve here with the tails, and as for holding them when stacking, there are all versions from holding like a setter, to not holding and to stuffing the tail  up one's sleeve
Shelley in Spain
Shelley in Spain

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 08:47:34 PM »
I think most are leaving some feathering which I think suits some dogs but not all, some are trimming it right off like they do in some countries abroad. I let mine grow on my pups and it kept curling up and round the tail, I tried blow drying it straight but it still stuck out everywhere and I thought it looked untidy and in my opinion not in keeping with the coat so I have trimmed mine, they still have a little feathering, I have kind of done mine inbetween for now.

I hope judges aren't going to penalise exhibitors too much for how they trim the tail there seems to be a lot of talk/hype about it, I hope they don't lose sight of the more important conformational  aspects. :-\
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 09:09:14 PM »
Thank you all for your replies, they are really helpful.

I'll try trimming her tail like I do Storm's and see how it looks!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 09:15:59 PM »
I hope judges aren't going to penalise exhibitors too much for how they trim the tail there seems to be a lot of talk/hype about it, I hope they don't lose sight of the more important conformational  aspects. :-\

I hope not too Kelly ;) As long as the tail is carried nicely, I don't see it matters really how much or how little feathering you leave on. I'm going for the "inbetween" approach with our pup too at the moment and think it really comes down to personal choice and also to the type of coat as not every dog's tail feathering hangs down straight if we leave it long :D

Jane

Offline isaka

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 10:20:32 PM »
About the hanging straight or curling around... Until 9 months old, the hair curled around Luigi's tail... but now at 9 and a half months he is losing is puppy fluff, and the hair on the tail has decided by itself to hang straight!
Shelley in Spain

Offline Spaniel Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 11:10:57 PM »
Rupert's tail curled round till he was about 9 months old, it now hangs straight and I cut it to an inbetween length.  I did cut it short and nobody liked it and it took about 3 months to grow to the lenght I leave it at now.  I hoping to see some cockers with tails at Crufts and see what length they are.

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 08:09:10 AM »

I hope not too Kelly ;) As long as the tail is carried nicely, I don't see it matters really how much or how little feathering you leave on. I'm going for the "inbetween" approach with our pup too at the moment and think it really comes down to personal choice and also to the type of coat as not every dog's tail feathering hangs down straight if we leave it long :D

I agree Jane, although it depends how strictly judges adhere to the breed standard, as it states "well feathered in keeping with the coat."
For me it's how to hold it that gives me a headache  ;)
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 09:07:06 AM »
Oh Spaniel Girl and isaka...so there is hope for Lily's tail yet!  Hopefully the hair will get straighter as it gets heavier (think it would be better if I blow dried it too  :005:

For me it's how to hold it that gives me a headache  ;)

Yes, same here.  I think I will just try to go last on the line so I can see what everyone else in the class is doing and then do the same!

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 09:31:32 AM »
A friend of mine had an Orange Roan Dog left undocked (this is going back 7+ years now) as the prospective owners didn't want him docked and he did make one appearance in the Show Ring and my friend did groomed his tail like a Setter or Golden Retriever leaving the feathing long in keeping with the rest of the coat and just shaped it slightly.  She also stacked him with the tail held out like you would do with a Setter or Golden Retriever.

With Oliver my English Springer Spaniel who isn't docked I will be stacking him like a Setter/Golden Retriever ie holding the head and holding the tail out and will be leaving the hair on his tail to grow and be in line with the rest of the body hair ... When I get another Cocker this is what I will be doing with him too. 

HTH
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 09:59:37 AM »
I agree Jane, although it depends how strictly judges adhere to the breed standard, as it states "well feathered in keeping with the coat."

Yes I suppose that could be a problem with judges who stick to a rigid interpretation of the standard although most don't seem to - the Standard also says coat should not be "too profuse", something which has been ignored by a lot of judges for years :005: ph34r  The KC has told American Cocker exhibitors that how they trim the tail is entirely up to them (either with feathering or without) so I'd guess they'd say the same to us too. It will be interesting to see how it goes this year anyway :D 
Jane

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 10:49:56 PM »
For me it's how to hold it that gives me a headache

Me too Kim! It's a nightmare.... :005:
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman