Author Topic: 13 month old neutered male - how best to groom  (Read 1171 times)

Offline SammiH

• Site Member
13 month old neutered male - how best to groom
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:15:33 PM »
Fudge came to us aged 6 months last August, having had two previous owners, and went to the groomers for the first time last November and he hated it.  The groomer seemed quite fed up with him and said he was really hard work as he wriggled so much for two hours.  He will not keep still, hates the brush anywhere near him and has a large love of muddy ditches.  I bathed him every day for a week 2 weeks ago because his coat was so muddy after every walk, and now it is looking dull and has dandruff.  He hates the bath or shower - I have to hold him in it with one hand to stop him jumping out and shower him / lather him with the other - this is very hard to do.  I often end up wetter than him!   ::)

He has some knots under his armpits which I try to cut out, but because he wriggles I am frightened I will cut him.  He also gets knotty ears which again I have had to cut out.  I tried spraying him with conditioning spray and brushing it through, but he just rolls around on the bits I am trying to do.  We try brushing him every night as he is settling down, and in the last couple of weeks I have been trimming bits off each day with scissors - his feathers are now quite short but thick, so I think I need to get some thinners.  I'm a bit confused with what to do with his top knot.  It is getting a bit long and looks like a crimped fringe!  Today I tried a metal comb with elastic wrapped around it and some of his fur on his head and back came out quite easily, however he would not put up with it and kept biting my hand.  Is this because I was hurting him?  Should I be doing this with a neutered male?  He didn't yelp or whine, but obviously didn't like it, even though the fur came out easily.

Sorry for so many questions, but all the advice I could find is about non-neutered, hand-strippable show dogs.  Fudge is neutered, 13 months old and just my much loved pet.  Do you think he will calm down as he gets older, and get used to the grooming?

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: 13 month old neutered male - how best to groom
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 01:05:41 AM »
The beauty of cockers is that there are so many grooming options, what it comes down to is what makes life the most comfortable for you and your dog.

The options range from keeping the dog shaved down, to doing a cocker pattern with shorter furnishings, to a full handstripped, long feathered show dog look, and everything in between. It is up to you and your groomer to decide what is best for Fudge and you to live with. (and I would consider finding another groomer. Dogs and groomers can have personality clashes, some groomers don't have "a way" with dogs. Just because your dog didn't do well at one groomer doesn't necessarily mean he will be like that for all)

If the fuzz is coming out easily you are probably not hurting him, he just does not like to be groomed. That's a training process as much as it is about the grooming. You could start by working on stand/stay, separate from grooming, then put the two together. Because of him having had two owners you don't know what, if any, his grooming experiences are, so you really have to start from scratch. Just need to have a no nonsense attitude that this will be done (not all at once though!) and keep at it.

Are you using a table or the washing machine or something to groom on? Just getting them off the floor is helpful  ;)   
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne