Author Topic: Groomer not happy for us to stay - advice please  (Read 2948 times)

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
Re: Groomer not happy for us to stay - advice please
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 12:09:20 PM »

I have a groomer come to the house and Biba is really good when having a trim but she still prefers me to stay out of the way ..i just think it makes there job a whole lot easier without the owner hovering around....i do go in and out of the room when she is here..to have a quick chat or fill her coffee cup up  ::) but i do notice Biba starts to fidget,whine and get restless if im in there too long  ;)

Offline Bev

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 01:42:25 PM »
were we take arnie they got cctv and you watch  them being clipped they have nothing  to hide.but i have not got 2 and a half hours to watch.

Offline JoanneM

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 01:59:34 PM »
TBH I've never even thought of staying with Murphy so I'd have to agree that its best to leave them there.  I walked in early once when Murphy was being finished off and he went beserk, so much so she had trouble doing anything else to him.  He's not the most confident of dogs anyway but he's fine when I leave him and last time he went I looked through a window before going in and he was asleep in a bed quite content.  He's only been going to this particular groomers for a short time but they have developed a great rapport so I know I can trust her.

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 02:01:14 PM »
Jasper has been groomed twice. We often go to a little local pet shop and they were offering a grooming service. We had been to the shop a couple of times and they are really doggy people who alway made a real fuss of Jasper so we tried the grooming. It was a bit of a leap of faith as we hadnt been recommended - but I had a good feeling about the people that we had met in the shop. We had to leave him - and I was on tenterhooks the whole time he was there. When we got back they said that he had been really good but that he had had a small nose bleed - possibly because he had been a little stressed.  I was impressed at them telling us this as they were obviously concerned he was OK.  

She has now set up mobile so the 2nd time she came to the house. She groomed Jasper in the kitchen whilst we sat in to the living room (me - nervous wreck again!). We hardly heard a peep out of him - apart from once when he whimpered when she came across a small knot in his "armpit". We could hear her talking to him throughout and keeping him calm etc.

From my experience I think he needs to be left to be focussed on the groomer/grooming - he's never been calm, quiet and still like that around us!!!

At the same time you need to feel that you can trust someone with your precious pup too - as Rachel says it will not be a good relationship if you don't feel that way.

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 02:22:21 PM »
thanks all - I think I will go and visit the groomers so I can weigh things up properly before I decide.  I can see the sense in what you are all saying  :blink:
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 06:24:02 PM »
I can understand your apprehension, and I recently found myself in that position, but I just knew it would be better for all, and particularly so for Daisy, if I left.  Leaving your dog with a (virtual) stranger, however highly recommended, takes a huge leap of faith, so I do know how you feel.  But I really do think it is the best way - especially for the dog.  I know that the groomer would have a really hard time if I hung around. In fact, I think it would be unfair to expect her to do a good job with the owner watching every move.

I tried to turn it into a positive and spent the next 3 hours, doggy free, and doing something I really wanted to do.  That way it takes your mind off it (a bit!) and time flies by.

But do make sure your groomer comes recommended by people who have used her/him, and that you are more comfortable (I won't say "happy"!) to leave your dog there.

Good luck.

Kay and Daisy

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 01:17:43 AM »
Thanks Pottter - you've hit the nail on the head - it is a leap of faith and unfortunately I don't know anyone who has used groomers in my locality - think I might ask my breeder to do it as she will be helping me with the hand stripping and I know I can trust her completely and would have no qualms leaving him with her.  :blink:
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 10:39:45 AM »
I have made an appointment at the end of March for Dax to go to a groomer for a bath and brush up (no trimming apart from his pads) so he is used to going to a groomer just in case we ever need it - she isn't keen for me to stay because she says he is more likely to want to come to me than settle down  ph34r .. tbh I am not happy to leave him with someone I don't know because I don't want him to have a bad experience or not tb handled kindly ... what do you think - a different groomer?   :blink:

Exactely one of the reasons why I decided to learn to groom my ACS myself. I was not prepared to leave my puppy/dog with strangers not knowing how they would treat him. Perhaps paranoid, I agree, but I have seen and heard too many horror stories about groomers/salons... (though of course there are some fab ones too!). So I got all the equipment myself, got some DVD's and videos and got advice from show people - and have done Jesse myself for a year now from 8 weeks old... Saves me a bundle too!

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Kick

• I love my blankee...
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 07:37:30 PM »
Hiya

I must confess that I stopped with Henry the first time he was groomed (at 5 months-mad fur!).

I didnt go near him. I stood back, made sure he was focusing on the groomer-who is wonderful with him-yet he was beside himself throughout.

I was keen to stay because Henry HATES being brushed n freaks out during bathtime regardless of how much we ignore the winges and whines and pretend everything is hunky dory.

Last night my Dad took him to the groomers. Henry peed twice in fear and cried for two hours solid. When he got home he sat with his head buried in my arm and shivered and cried for an hour.

Is this normal!?

I realise people say don't stop with them but its not like I interact or get involved so I don't think being in the room makes it any worse! I know what my boy is like being bathed by me so no way am I convinced on letting him go alone.

I am honestly wondering what the heck to do about this entire situation.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works with my opinion but as it was only yesterday it seemed relevant!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 01:17:17 AM »
Kick, the majority of dogs do better without their owners. However there are a few who do better with the owners present. The original poster was advised to leave her dog as he doesnt seem to have any issues, so he will most likely be one of those who are fine without her present.

If your groomer is happy for you to stay, and your dog does better with you there, then that is the right course for you  :blink:  If you have a groomer that you like and trust, then that would be the person to discuss this with, as you and she knows Henry best 
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline neilmc1977

• Site Member
  • jasper
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 09:24:35 AM »
we left jasper as his groomers under request and it was fine they show theyre own cockers and are his stud dogs owners.
 hes just a pup and i think it done him good she said we needed to be more firm with him :005: which in all honisty deep down we knew also.
probably better than sitting making small talk for two and a half hours!!!