Author Topic: Handstripped Indie myself!  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Handstripped Indie myself!
« on: March 27, 2004, 10:07:27 AM »
:D Last nite I had Indie on my knee, I pulled a few bits of stray hair and I got carried away and ended up handstripping her whole body :)  I am quite proud of myself as I never thought I could do this myself 8)   The only part I am struggling with is her head, its quite tough to pull out, although it is overgrown and going a bit wavie :?   Do I wait for this to come out easily or just try and get little bits out :?:

Also what about her ears, well the sides of the tops of her ears, they are a bit wavie too, do I handstrip this area?

Thanks, I can't beieve how good she looks :D   I just need to master the trimming and feathering bit now :roll:

Jane or Michele, please please please would you make a video, I am sure people would be willing to buy it, I know I would :D                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 10:52:26 AM »
Hi Emma,

You can buy a video on handstripping a cocker spaniel...it's by Jackie Marris-Bray (I have a copy  :wink: ) I managed to get mine off ebay...I'm sure Jane or Michele will know the link to where you can buy it though  :wink:
Personally it's not helped me much  :roll: in fact I might ask JMB for my money back when i see her at SKC  :lol:  :lol:  (JOKE  :wink: )
I don't handstrip Buttys ears...but then i don't find the hair comes out too easy on hers plus i don't show her so wouldn't put her through it :wink: Saying that though...as I am getting better at grooming I also keep Roana (orange roan) tidy for my friend and the hair on her ears comes out much easier...so I do actually handstrip alot of the dead hair out on her. On Butty i use thinning scissors......although to be honest I find the ears the hardest thing to do  :?  
With the head I push the hair forward, this then leaves any dead hair sticking up.....i then pull the dead hair out...but you do have to be quite forceful  :wink:  
I'm lucky enough to be going to a cocker Spaniel Breed Seminar in May with a trimming workshop with Sandy Platt from Charbonnel  :D
If you are thinking of trimming Indie yourself it would be worth investing in some thinning scissors which you can buy from http://www.hubintsecured.co.uk/acatalog/Scissors.html you will need 46 teeth single sided.

Good Luck  :wink:

Gilly                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 11:47:53 AM »
Hi Emma,

well done!!
Millie's head has always been a bit tough to do aswell, but mainly because she has no patience and doesn't like her head being tugged!  :roll:
I do as Gilly does and kinda brush the fur forward so it stands up on end and then pull out little bits at a time. I can pretty much do her head and kinda in front on her ears, almost like her cheeks with little problem - the top of her ears I tend to do with thinning scissors, although it is possible to pluck out bits around the very top without much problem.
I got some chalk from Hub International which is fantastic stuff and helped no end! although Millie looked a little grey by the time I had finished.
I also tend to do a bit at a time with her head, perhaps like you the other night, when she's sat on my knee having a cuddle ... infact shes started going to Tris for a cuddle now because I generally tend to start plucking her! :lol:                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 01:09:33 PM »
Well done Emma :D  I know how proud I felt when I did Dallas for the first time 8)  I managed to do his back and head very easily(with the help of chalk) and although it wasn't as sleek as you see on the show dogs, I was pretty impressed with my first attempt.  Unfortunately, now he won't tolerate the stripping at all and he's a right scruffy so-and-so just now.  Don't want ot have him clipped but may have no choice :cry:  Can't help you with the scissoring as I am absolutely hopeless  :lol: You'll have to take a picture of her once you have finished so we can admire your handywork  :D

As for Jane/Michele doing a video - great idea. Put me down for 2 copies(I'm bound to wear one of them out :wink: ) :lol:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 02:52:55 PM »
Heres a picture, I tried a side view, but she was fed up, will try and get one on soon though!

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/photo/Parti...s/IM000177roses

Edited to add.. Thanks for the tips and and nice comments :D                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 08:41:14 PM »
Just had a look Emma, and well done you, she looks lovely  :D
I've posted the photo that shows how to hold the ear and use thinners in the Misc gallery
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/photo/Misc/Thinners_Ear
hope it helps  :wink:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 09:31:44 PM »
Thanks Michele, I may well be brave enough to attempt to have a go :?  will have to invest in some thinning scissors first though :wink:  

Daft question coming up ...... Tails, Indie is undocked, are the tails generally left alone, at the groomers? Or are they thinned out atall?  Her tail looks fine at the moment, but just wondered for the future :?

Thanks again, for the kind comments everyone, I was like a big kid today, I never thought I would be able to do her myself, especially with my allergy :roll:  So I am really pleased that I gave it a go, and saved myself some money too :wink:  well that will go toward my grooming equipment fund now :wink:                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2004, 05:02:52 PM »
Jane or Michele, please please please would you make a video, I am sure people would be willing to buy it, I know I would :D

This was suggested last year (a wee bit jokingly)... only I think it's still a great idea, and I'd be happy to film  :lol:                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2004, 05:54:26 PM »
And I'd be more than happy to donate Dallas as the model :wink:  :D

Does anyone know where the photo of using thinners on the head is lurking? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I know I saved it onto my hard drive but forgot to take it over when I got my new computer :roll:                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2004, 06:17:49 PM »
Well Gill I think they should use a solid colour, and a parti-colour too .. for contrast and ease of viewing .. I donate Millie ;)

I would also be willing to donate some money towards such a video .. whilst I found JMB's video useful.. the fact she used a black cocker and such poor lighting made it hard to see what she was doing at times .. :roll: maybe it just me :?

BTW Em - Indie looks lovely ! :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2004, 06:56:19 PM »
The more I watch that JMB video(4 times so far today :shock: ), them more confused I get.  Its really the scissoring - she snips away so fast that you don't get a chance to see exactly how shes doing it. When she was doing the ears, she goes on about how this is the point where we blend and then the camera zooms out and she cuts away like a woman possessed. So as a result, Dallas has a wonky left ear :evil:  Think she forgot that its  a video for novices :roll:  Hopefully, she will take pity on him in May and whisk him away for a quick grooming session :wink:  :lol:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2004, 07:00:39 PM »
:? Is it not worth investing in Gill?  I think I may break my rewind and pause button :lol:   Perhaps I will stick with the book I have here :wink:  sounds like I may confuse myself even more :?                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2004, 07:15:36 PM »
Emma, I know some people think its great. I just think I need an idiots guide to grooming a cocker spaniel type of thing. Her video is obviously too advanced for me :lol:  When Im at the skc, going to try and hunt out either a book or video that actually makes some sense :wink:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2004, 07:21:00 PM »
Gill, I know what you mean, I need an idiots guide too :wink:  As you say its the scissoring bit, I haven't even attempted it yet either, but the thought fills me with dread! :roll:

I don't know about having a wonkie ear, I am more worried about snipping it off completely :shock:                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2004, 11:45:37 PM »

Does anyone know where the photo of using thinners on the head is lurking? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I know I saved it onto my hard drive but forgot to take it over when I got my new computer :roll:

I've added that one too Gill, here you are http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/photo/Misc/...Thinners_Head_2  :D