Author Topic: Indie's still not got lots of hair!  (Read 1461 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Indie's still not got lots of hair!
« on: March 29, 2004, 02:03:18 PM »
He's five and a half months old, and while the feathering on his legs is nice and luxuriant, there's no real abundance anywhere else. I keep reading about how everyone has to groom their hairy cockers, and wondering when I'll be able to! I brush him daily, but there's really no need as his coat is smooth and flat, with no tangles. He does have a lovely silky coat now, since changing to Burns/Naturediet, but there's not much more of it than when he was wee.

When did you need to start trimming, and really grooming them? He's an orange roan if that makes a difference.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 02:10:32 PM »
Shona

Phoebe's on orange roan and she didn't really go very very fluffly like some of the others. 'Cos the coat is quite fine she wasn't a mass of fluff. When she had her first real groom she came back a different dog as it all came out. Her coat has been very easy to deal with and is still quite fine.

I'm sure some of the others will add to this :)                    
Anita

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 04:05:17 PM »
It's quite normal for orange roans & quite a few solid golds to have fine, silky top coats which don't need a lot of stripping, even when puppies. Be grateful Shona, Indie's type of coat is nice & easy to groom & should stay that way unless you opt to have him neutered :wink:                    
Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 08:27:10 PM »
It's quite normal for orange roans & quite a few solid golds to have fine, silky top coats which don't need a lot of stripping, even when puppies. :

I never knew that!!  :)                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 10:10:26 PM »
yup my goldens never needed anything just a trim on there paws and top knots doing , although i only learnt how to do the head 2 weeks ago . i used to leave them well alone till every 8 weeks a good trim :) no more mop heads in my gang anymore! you should see a pic i have of my girl candy ill post it one day , she looks like shes wearing a wig as its a much lighter colour  :lol: i used to just give the head a trim in this pic i think i must of just left it to do its own thing  :shock:                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 03:04:37 PM »
My Buddy has a gorgeous top coat on his back and main bod, needs almost nothing doing to it, lies beautifully flat too :D  - trouble is, he's let it all slip to his featherings - he has really heavy furnishings on his front legs and chest, oh and ears :D

So enjoy it Shona - while you can - you never know what you may end up with in a couple of months time :lol:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 03:40:16 PM »
Thanks everyone, I'll just enjoy my wee baldy boy then!

At least he won't overheat in summer I suppose, I never knew that about orange roans, fascinating stuff.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)