Author Topic: Stained coat.  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Stained coat.
« on: April 01, 2004, 01:40:47 PM »
A while back I posted about Jimmy getting a bit sticky down below from cocking his leg, I never thought I'd have similar problems with Misty though. Below her tail and on the inside of her thighs she has some nice white feathering, unfortunatley this is becoming rather yellowy now. Even when I gave her a bath the other day some of the staining remained afterwards. :( Is it a matter of keeping her well trimmed in this area or is there some magical product I could use on a daily basis ? I'm not sure I want to keep hosing this area down every day but at the moment that's the only thing I can think of. Any tips please, experts ? :D                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Stained coat.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 01:55:05 PM »
Colin

Maybe try using baby wipes after she's been. I think Gilly has mentioned using these on Butty's private benjiman's!                    
Anita

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
Stained coat.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 02:46:07 PM »

Maybe try using baby wipes after she's been. I think Gilly has mentioned using these on Butty's private benjiman's!

:oops:

This is why I have solids  :mrgreen:                    
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Stained coat.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 02:59:52 PM »
Colin,

I buy a product called Quick Bath fron Wilkinsons, they're made for dogs and larger than baby wipes and are great for using in between bath times :wink:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Stained coat.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 03:14:41 PM »
Buttys "Private Benjamins" are all white....so it can be a nightmare, but....my friends Orange Roan Cocker "Roana" is a complete nightmare...her rear end is stained quite badly  :?  I'm not sure of a dogs urine can be stronger??? depending on what food they are fed on  :?:  but Roanas urine smells alot stronger than Buttys to  :?
I have to admit that I did have quite a problem with the same thing when Butty was younger but as she has got older she is alot better at squatting and even cocks one of her back legs (if thats possible) when she squats (it looks bizarre)  :lol:  :lol: bit it does mean she doesn't get stained anymore  :)  I'm sure Jane (with an orange roan and a black and white  :wink: ) will have a good solution for you  :)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Stained coat.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 04:04:11 PM »
I'm sure Jane (with an orange roan and a black and white  :wink: ) will have a good solution for you  :)

Not really I'm afraid. It's something you have to live with if you have a dog with a light coloured coat - some are worse for staining than others depending on their piddling technique :lol: I have tried assorted stain removal shampoos & sprays for white coats - some disguise staining & some bleach it out (don't like these as I'm not happy using such chemicals on my dogs). Some show people swear by applying a paste of bicarbonate of soda to the stained areas, then leaving it for a while before rinsing out. There's also a really old cure apparently where you rinse after bathing using one of those old fashioned "dolly blue" bags - my Gran used to use them for her net curtains I remember :lol: Not sure if you can still get them though.                    
Jane

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
Stained coat.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 04:14:46 PM »
Perhaps a silly thought, but can't you use chalk like u do on westie coats before showing?                    
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Stained coat.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 04:38:11 PM »
Unlike Buttons, Daisy became more and more stained the older she got - probably the longer her rear feather became. I have to trim her frequently there now to keep on top of it - it is very unbecoming for a lady! :lol:                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Stained coat.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 04:48:16 PM »
I might be totally off my head here  :roll: , but I think I've read somewhere about adding a small amount of cranberry juice to the water bowl. Acting as a neutraliser, this would tie in with Gilly's thought of some dogs urine being stronger than others.
I know its good for women's waterworks problems, so if anyone fancies scouring the internet  :?                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Stained coat.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 04:56:26 PM »
When I was into showing (horses) we used to add a tad of lux washing up powder to warm water, to help remove any stains :?on greys and piebalds/skewbalds!  But as Jane says its the chemical issue, thats not maybe a good idea :?  The only other thing I can think of, is maybe there is a horse shampoo/stain remover than would work on dogs too :?

Good luck with it anyway :)                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Stained coat.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 05:05:26 PM »
I just did a google search and this link came up saying cranberry can have " beneficial effects on the urinary tract, preventing infections and cystitis". There's loads of other info about other supplements for dogs too.

http://www.giveusahome.co.uk/articles/supplement.htm

Another link said cranberry can reduce the PH of dog urine but contains sugar so might not be too good for them.

As per Jane's comments re "piddling technique" I think this is Misty's problem. She likes to get as low as possible then drag herself slowly forward in mid flow. :roll:  :lol:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Stained coat.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 05:10:33 PM »
I found these shampoos, that claim to reduce staining and enhance white/grey coats!

http://mjmcompany.com/pet-grooming-products.htm

HTH                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Stained coat.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 06:34:43 PM »
Perhaps a silly thought, but can't you use chalk like u do on westie coats before showing?

No it would be against Kennel Club rules :wink: (not that this stops some of the terrier people!)                    
Jane

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Stained coat.
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 07:22:25 PM »
Hi Colin,

we have this issue with our two girls as well.
Millie tends to be worse when she's got quite long feathering, so I tend to keep it tidy. However like Butty she has developed a half squat half cock thing, where as when she was younger she'd squat really low to the ground with her bum practically in her piddle.
Jenni currently doesn't seem to realise she is still piddling and stands up and starts walking off half way through, resulting in soggy smelly feet and legs.

I bought some Bob Martin's dog wipes, which are basically doggy baby wipes. They were ok, didn't paticularly mask the smell though !

Something which I think was said to me on here when I asked a similar question was to try talcum powder.

I hunted out the thread ..

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=3576

HTH

Kel                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Stained coat.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 08:20:27 PM »
I definitely think some dogs must have stronger urine than others...Butty NEVER smells...I can't always tell if she's done a wee sometimes as she keeps herself really clean...whereas when Roana does a wee you can straight away...her back end is soaking and she stinks  :shock: