Author Topic: Help - how long before he looks like a cocker again?  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Cadburysmum

Help - how long before he looks like a cocker again?
« on: May 31, 2008, 03:59:34 PM »
OK guys I've messed up big time.

I've just managed to stop crying.

After trying various grooming techniques Cadbury still looked and felt more like a sheep than a cocker. Very woolly and curly coated. So I gave in and bought a set of trimmers.

Using the guide on here I steadfastly set to work, his back looked great, his legs worked well, his coat shone. I carfully took the thinning scissors and blended the sides down to his feathers and he was looking tiptop.

But then I thought his ears and face now look shaggy in comparison, again using the guide I set to work but when I got to his ears I forgot to change blades, starting to cut with a very fine #15 rather than the 5f skim.  I'd gone too far before I realised my mistake and had no choice to take the whole lot off.

It looks terrible, he looks like a beagle rather than a cocker and of course his head doesn't match the rest of him!!! My kids are going to be devastated especially as my 10 year old had planned to enter him in the cutest dog competition at his school fate next weekend.

Feel awful, like I've let him down. Am due to go to see a rescue cocker next week with Cadbury, they'll take one look at him and think I'm not a fit mum.

I know it will take a while to grow back but has anyone got any ideas how long before he starts looking like a proper cocker again? Could do with some good news please!!!

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
Re: Help - how long before he looks like a cocker again?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 04:13:57 PM »
I dont know anything about clipping and length of time for regrowth but he wont care about it one bit, he will be happy he doesnt have to lug (pardon the pun ;)) all that hair around when its hot and the rescue centre wont think your grooming skills have anything to do with the level of care you can give another dog ;)

Offline Cadburysmum

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 04:27:11 PM »
Thanks, absolutely sure your right, Cadbury doesn't mind at all, its me who does, he's my beautiful boy and I've made him look stupid. Its pure owner vanity, I rather like everyone stopping me on the street to tell me how cute he is, now I think they might be stopping to have a good laugh!!!

Hey, always been my motto in life to make people smile but would rather it was at my expensive than Cadburys!!!  :embarassed:

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »
I did this to Lucy a little while ago ph34r she looked terrible :embarassed: cavaliers ear flaps are very short, so she looked like a terrier cross of some sort :lol2: It grows back surprisingly fast. ;)

ETA: good luck with the rescue cocker, keep us updated! :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »
Bet he's not half as bad as you're making out.  It'll grow and I can't imaging the rescue will worry in the slightest.  Now if you'd gone with him covered in matts that would be another matter.  ;)

It'll grow back soon - though not for next weekend perhaps.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Cadburysmum

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 09:59:55 PM »
He has a pointers head and a cockers body!!! So its really not a good look.

Thanks for all your kind words I guess in a month or two he will look more like his old self, still double take every time he walks  in to the room, my husband thinks its all very funny and says he always wanted a pointer!!! >:(

Would post a pic but too ashamed of what a stupid mum I have been!!!  :embarassed:

Have now labelled my blades in envelopes so I can never make the same mistake again! :005:

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 10:03:15 PM »
The oldie that stayed with us for a while had been close clipped due to matting, it was suprising how fast it grew back, and saved a lot of ear washing ;)
Go on, post a picy, we won't laugh
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Cadburysmum

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 05:37:21 PM »
Ok just to cheer up everyone on a rainy Sunday afternoon, just think it could be worse you could have done this to your beautiful cocker's ears.   ::)

Doesn't he look cross with his mum!!!  :embarassed:

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 05:50:04 PM »
he doesn't look too bad, still a very  :luv: boy,
and i'm sure it will grow back before you know it ;)
chantelle & Tilly

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 05:56:03 PM »
Aww, he still looks cute and if he's anything like Sasha it will soon be back hairy as ever.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 06:03:50 PM »
He doesn't look too bad, I was expecting a lot worse, think he looks cute! (He doesn't look too impressed thou!)
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »
I think he looks lovely and he will still win the cutest dog competition. It's only a haircut and will grow back soon, it's not like you actually cut his ears off! :005:

The groomer I took Gari to rumped him and he had almost no fur at all, he was like a smooth-haired dog, he looked ridiculous but his curls grew back really quickly. I stupidly took him back there again and asked for him to be left longer, but surprise surprise he was rumped again! >:D :005:

These photos will make you see that Cadbury doesn't look silly at all!

Before
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/fiona2348/?action=view&current=Gari23.jpg

After
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/fiona2348/?action=view&current=Gari17.jpg

OH says his ears look like a pair of insoles! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 06:30:45 PM »
i still think he looks handsome :luv: :luv: :luv: and i bet his ears feel like velvet. :luv:

how did the kids take it?
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 06:48:31 PM »
When our previous two cockers were old I used to clip them right off like that  :005:. But they didn't care and it stopped them getting too hot  :luv:.

Millie

Offline Cadburysmum

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 06:58:11 PM »
Really surprised how good the kids have been, they think he looks like a puppy again, though my youngest did at first ask whose dog was this!!!  :005:

Everyone has been so kind, thanks for all your support and shared grooming horror stories think Gari is simply gorgeous rumped or not, love that expression by the way!!!

Cadbury definitely looks worse in the flesh so to speak, can't wait for it to come back, never thought I'd hear the day when I am begging grow,coat,grow.

The plus side is he feels like silk and his coat his soooo shiny, he's always beautiful to me anyway  :luv:

Especially when he comes and curls up on my tummy, like he is at the mo, soothes tummy ache beautifully, no longer any need for a hot water bottle in my house. Had the big C a few years ago and had an op on my stomach and it still causes me pain quite often.

Can cockers tell when their pets are in pain, as Cadbury only does this when I am? He also licks my boys cuts and bruises after rugby or football! Anyone else have a cocker who does this?