Author Topic: Help re: handstripping  (Read 4344 times)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
Help re: handstripping
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:25:58 PM »
I am becoming really disheartened at my ability to handstrip Alfie.  :-\ I have only started his head but I just dont feel like I am getting very far. Is it me  :huh: or does it just take a long long time initially getting the shape as a pup.  :huh:

His face is ridiculously hairy, I cannot even imagine how long that would take to do by handstripping, months and months the way I am shaping up.  :-\

Anyone with any advice please to a very frustrated one.  :huh:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Help re: handstripping
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:52:44 PM »
(refresh my memory  ph34r) How old is Alfie? Are you going to show him?
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 10:00:24 PM »
He is 23 weeks nearly 24.

Yes we do hope to show him, if I can get my act together at ringcraft.  :005:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:12:46 PM »
He may still be too young, the hair may not be ready to come out yet  ::)

A lot of people here don't have a problem, but personally I've always found strippng heads difficult  ph34r That hair is stubborn and doesn't seem to want to come out easily  >:( I find it easier to fan the hair with one hand, like you would a hand of cards, and pluck the tips with the others.

Don't want to mislead you, but I think you can use a stripping stone on faces. Maybe someone else can enlighten us  :005:

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:24:54 PM »
Thanks spanielcrazy.

The hair on his head is coming out without having to tug hard, there just seems to be so much of it. Its really difficult it being the first time for me, I keep thinking I am doing it wrong and will mess him up. He is so gorgeous I dont want to ruin his coat by being silly and doing something stupid. I think I will have to make a long journey to his breeder for a bit of hands on, I was trying to do as much myself as I know they are busy people.

I think I need to be more patient dont I.  I have to keep hiding the scissors away from the grooming table so I dont chop it off in frustration.  :005:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 10:40:37 PM »
I think I need to be more patient dont I.  I have to keep hiding the scissors away from the grooming table so I dont chop it off in frustration.  :005:

I so know that feeling  :-\ ::) >:( :005:

My first cocker had hardly any hair so I was pretty smug with my handstripping skills  :angel:

And then I got a black bitch  :o :o :o

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 10:47:02 PM »

I so know that feeling  :-\ ::) >:( :005:

My first cocker had hardly any hair so I was pretty smug with my handstripping skills  :angel:

And then I got a black bitch  :o :o :o

:005: :005: So really Alfie should be easy then. God help me.  :005:

I know what you mean though, my last boy was black and his coat was so different than Alfies. I will stick to particolours now me thinks.  :005:

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 10:50:07 PM »
I also found the head hard but just doing little bits at a time helped me. I will be sitting on the sofa watching telly and see a fuzzy bit and ill just grab it. Elmo doesnt mind as he is caught off guard and relaxed unlike when hes on the table he is prepared for the plucking :005: Right or wrong i use scissors on his cheeks and jaw ph34r I dont think you can tell can you

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 10:52:57 PM »
Oooo, beautiful job!  :shades: Elmo looks gorgeous  :luv:

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 10:55:37 PM »
No you cannot tell atall, he is one handsome boy.  :luv: :luv:

I have been advised to strip there, but I honestly cannot imagine how long it would take. I have stripped a little bit on his face and didnt seem to get very far, plus with his mouthing at the moment too its a recipe for disaster.  ph34r I will try and get a pic and show you how hairy his mush is.  :005:
Is it thinning scissors on his face and jaw Elmo?

I am like a mum that spits on her hanky and cleans a kids face, I do it and push his facial hair back.  :lol2:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 11:01:37 PM »
My old blue roan had a hairy face and neck, i did used to trim it with little nail scissors to neaten it up! But i just attacked the rest of her with scissors and clippers! She must have been so embarrassed when i took her out - like a 1970's child whose parents had cut their fringe all wonky!  :005: :005:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 11:10:03 PM »
 Dax is a mini afghan  :005: he has a very hairy mop and a very hairy face  :lol: I am going to book in with a guy whose name I got from a show and who has been recommended by my breeder so he can do him for a start and I can watch what to do - I'm in no rush to chop it all off - I reckon there is about 8 - 9 hours work to get Dax to the right shape - I've also been advised that the coat isn't always ready to come out till they get to 10 months old  ;) he is practicing to be a yetti- he will be a yetti by then  :rofl1:
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »
:
Is it thinning scissors on his face and jaw Elmo?

a bit of both really ph34r Im probably going to get shot by the cocker show pro's now :005: I found it difficult to get at him from a standing position so i sat on the floor with my legs out front and him between them. I could get both sides this way. I mainly used the thinners in the direction of the hair and lay them close to the skin and held the skin taught to his face so i didnt nip the loose skin. You cant see scissor lines at all but ive groomed and turned out horses for years so am used to trimming discreatly. Ive made some terrible grooming mistakes on him in the past so probably best not listen to me :005: :005:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 11:17:59 PM »
I dont think il ever get what hand stipping is  :huh: :huh: how do you know its ready for plucking? The smooth finish it gives is amazing! My cocker either looked like a shaved sheep or a big hairy yeti!  ::) ::)

REUBY DOOO!

jarbaha

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 09:10:01 AM »
hi louis mum  :D
i have the same with melody, i dare not post any pictures of her at present, until i get her handstripped  :005:, you must post a new picture of alfie, so i can see just how hairy alfie is  :luv:, i bet melody will win hands, now that should be paws down  :005: