Author Topic: Help re: handstripping  (Read 4343 times)

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Re: Help re: handstripping
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 11:44:15 AM »
louismum I have a pup, the first I have attempted to trim properly.  I found that for a few months after I started to handstrip her it took ages, and I seemed to spend most of my 'spare time' plucking  ::) .  She is now 9 months and I seem to have got on top of it and it doesnt take as long anymore (possibly I managed to tame her hair a bit, and also I got better at plucking?).  In my limited experience it does get easier as they get older :blink:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 11:49:14 AM »
He is 23 weeks nearly 24.

Yes we do hope to show him, if I can get my act together at ringcraft.  :005:

Can i just ask what ringcraft is?  ::)

REUBY DOOO!

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 11:59:52 AM »
He is 23 weeks nearly 24.

Yes we do hope to show him, if I can get my act together at ringcraft.  :005:

Can i just ask what ringcraft is?  ::)

Classes that teach you and your pooch what to do in the show ring.  ;) We are 'inbetween' classes at the moment, i.e. the one we were going to is no longer showing us anything of use, so we are trying to find a good un.

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 12:02:33 PM »
hi louis mum  :D
i have the same with melody, i dare not post any pictures of her at present, until i get her handstripped  :005:, you must post a new picture of alfie, so i can see just how hairy alfie is  :luv:, i bet melody will win hands, now that should be paws down  :005:

I am being very selective too what pics I post of Alfie too.  :lol2: He looks like noone loves him at the moment.  :005: I will try and get a pic, he is being a swine at the moment though, he doesnt sit still for a minute, unless he is eating.  :005:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 12:03:48 PM »
Ahhh always wondered how they knew what they were doing - i think i thought they were just naturals!  :005: Im soo dozy!  ::)

REUBY DOOO!

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 12:08:03 PM »
Ahhh always wondered how they knew what they were doing - i think i thought they were just naturals!  :005: Im soo dozy!  ::)

:005: I am dozy too then, cos we go to class and I still cant do it well.  :005: They make it look easy dont they  :shades: well it aint when you have a 5 month old pup that is only interested in the food you have in your pocket and the wee trails left by others (dogs that is).  :005:

Oh and when he thinks the 'judges' fingers are a new type of treat.  ::) ph34r :005:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »
Sounds fun though!  :D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 12:20:34 PM »
Sounds fun though!  :D

It is it is great fun.

louismum I have a pup, the first I have attempted to trim properly.  I found that for a few months after I started to handstrip her it took ages, and I seemed to spend most of my 'spare time' plucking  ::) .  She is now 9 months and I seem to have got on top of it and it doesnt take as long anymore (possibly I managed to tame her hair a bit, and also I got better at plucking?).  In my limited experience it does get easier as they get older :blink:

So really I need to persevere, thanks sportsmonki, I think I need all the encouragement I can get at the moment. I am a little distracted with a looming interview at the moment, as soon as it is out of the way I will concentrate 100% on the hairy monster.  :005: I just keep thinking in another couple of weeks he will be like an afghan  :005:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 12:26:16 PM »
Im dying to see him - you have to post a picture! Just so we can get an idea of what you mean - may help the professionals to advise you better  ;) ;) ;)

REUBY DOOO!

jarbaha

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 01:35:16 PM »
hi louismum, sorry to hijack your posting ...shall i be brave and post the latest picture of my hairy monster melody  :o :o :luv:

jarbaha

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 01:38:08 PM »
i'm sure your handsome boy alfie  :luv: is no way as hairy as my melody  :lol2:( who is also 5 months old, and can't get any hair hand stripped at present  :005:, so she will have to stay hairy a bit longer  :o.)

jarbaha

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 01:43:27 PM »
ok then , you have been warned  :005:,
here is my hairy monster melody ( does she look like a cocker or a poodle  :005:)
as you can see she was a little bit shy at having her photo taken, can't blame her though  :o :005:
louis mum i'll post some more of melody on puppies, and hope i have'nt bored anyone with her pic/s.
:luv:

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 01:48:54 PM »
I tried answering last night and it froze out on me  >:( but as has been said patience is the key. Alfie is still (probably) too young for his coat to give yet, when it does you will certainly know!  :o

This was my Otis at 6 months old and the coat wasn't ready in any way to give :-\

and some time later at Crufts

:
Is it thinning scissors on his face and jaw Elmo?

a bit of both really ph34r Im probably going to get shot by the cocker show pro's now :005: I found it difficult to get at him from a standing position so i sat on the floor with my legs out front and him between them. I could get both sides this way. I mainly used the thinners in the direction of the hair and lay them close to the skin and held the skin taught to his face so i didnt nip the loose skin. You cant see scissor lines at all but ive groomed and turned out horses for years so am used to trimming discreatly. Ive made some terrible grooming mistakes on him in the past so probably best not listen to me :005: :005:

You won't get shot by me as I use thinning scissors around the face, some areas are just to sensitive to handstrip and I think this is one of them.

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 02:05:20 PM »
You won't get shot by me as I use thinning scissors around the face, some areas are just to sensitive to handstrip and I think this is one of them.

oh goody, ill come out from hiding now :005:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 02:22:47 PM »
WOW the difference is brilliant! Do you handstrip just the head and back? I think this thread has opened a can of worms!  :005:

REUBY DOOO!