Author Topic: Scissors vs Coat King  (Read 859 times)

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
Scissors vs Coat King
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:08:53 AM »
I gave up trying about a month ago and took Paisley to the groomers under strict instructions not to touch her with the clippers and to leave her back as I do it with the coat king.

I recently read a post about coat kings eventually making the coat go curly which is what I was trying to avoid by using it!  Her back is already not as soft as it used to be and the hairs seem a lot thicker.  The hair on her head where she has been scissored is really soft, although she's only been "done" once on her head compared to being "done" a few times on her back with the coat king!

So my question, would it be better to get her scissored all over at the groomers next time?  Will this help to keep her coat soft and straight?!

Thanks

Becky
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
Re: Scissors vs Coat King
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:52:38 AM »
Coco is always groomed with a coat king at the groomers, she will not use anything else of his coat, he's not curly at all, if you wish I will post you a photo of him.
Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »

I used the coat king on Biba but stopped as it was making her hair feel very spikey and it was growing in every direction which it hadnt done before  :huh:..not sure if it was the coat king but havnt used it for a while and her coat feels and looks better  :D
Lola unfortunatly has been clipped  ph34r..not something i really wanted to do but couldnt find another groomer who would scissor cut her ...well not before september all booked up  :-\

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 01:00:24 PM »
You're joking!  Clipped!!!

Did you try Janet?  Could she not get you in?  Or was it Janet who clipped her?!  ph34r
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »

Tried janet and about 10 others...either all booked up until september or they only clipped...good job im never going to show her...kept all her feathers and ears long..she does look quite smart although have now knackered her coat  ph34r..i think i will get Biba clipped as she has been spayed and her coats gone to pot anyway ::)

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 01:57:34 PM »
Can't believe how busy everyone is! 

We're taking the girls to Wales in October, I think I'll book them in now so they are all tidy for their holiday! 

I'm sure Lola's coat wont be ruined after just one clipping!  As long as you get her scissored next time I'm sure she'll be ok! 

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 04:33:13 PM »
Unfortunately the only way your going to keep it soft and straight is by hand stripping it. Once you start clipping and coat kinging I have found it will grow back thicker, coarse and sometimes curly.
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman