Author Topic: fur on legs.....  (Read 1179 times)

Offline saffys mum

• Site Member
fur on legs.....
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:39:05 PM »
   I have got a two year old, solid black, working cocker. She has never been either clipped, stripped or anything else as her fur is quite short and silky, however the longer fur on her legs is starting to turn a bit lighter almost brown and a bit fuzzy(dont know correct expression!). Is there anything I can do about this? She is just a pet and I wont be showing her but want her to look as good as she can. If I took her to a groomer would they do just the legs? Im sorry if this is a stupid question but dont know much about grooming.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: fur on legs.....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:49:41 PM »
Well I think we need a photo  :005:

My guess is that the fur is turning brown because that hair is "dead" and the sun is fading it. Buddy's black bits did that as he got the fuzzy puppy look.

You could tackle it with thinning scissors, or you could find a good groomer (recommendation is best) who will listen to your instructions and carry them out.

hth!

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM »
Will any come out if you run a comb with a rubber band through it, if it's dead hair, it could come out and reduce the "brownish bits"

Louie's bum was looking brown in the black patches yesterday, for a shortish worker coat, I couldn't believe how much came out  :o

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline saffys mum

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:03:41 PM »
   What do you mean by a comb with a rubber band through it?

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 02:02:54 PM »
   I have got a two year old, solid black, working cocker. She has never been either clipped, stripped or anything else as her fur is quite short and silky, however the longer fur on her legs is starting to turn a bit lighter almost brown and a bit fuzzy(dont know correct expression!). Is there anything I can do about this? She is just a pet and I wont be showing her but want her to look as good as she can. If I took her to a groomer would they do just the legs? Im sorry if this is a stupid question but dont know much about grooming.

Oh mi goodness that is Lola to a T at the mo.  She is nearly two and ditto to being clipped etc.  I was going to get a groomer (if I can find a good one on a recommendation) to just thin out her legs - she looks like she has elephantitis  :005:

Sorry to butt in on your thread, but I will be really interested to know what COLers suggest.......
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 02:20:47 PM »
Just thought of a couple of things......

I posted this thread a while back and got some interesting replies, particuarly the pics from Happydog about Fern.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=28873.0

Also, Dunbarney recently had Sweepies legs de-fuzzed I think?
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »
Best thing to do is handstrip it unless they are neutered/spayed. You can use a coat king but its a bit tricky on legs. Just gently try and pluck it out using your fingers and it'll get rid of the dead brown hair.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 06:11:55 PM »
... unless they are neutered/spayed.

:huh: :huh: :huh:
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »

cos they tend to go woolier and makes handstripping difficult or impossible...

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 07:14:59 PM »

cos they tend to go woolier and makes handstripping difficult or impossible...

Aaaah right then thats Lola.....so she'll need a groomer then.
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline saffys mum

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 07:10:20 PM »
   She has been spayed, does that mean I will have to clipper her legs? If I do will it grow back worse? I did try to pull some of the fur out last night but it certainly didnt come out easily, the bit that I got!! Its a good job Saffy is very patient!!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:16:30 PM »
Bonnee is spayed, and when she came to live with us she had been clippered all over, including all her leg feathering and she looked like a skinned rabbit!!

I keep her coat short as it tends to matt easily, but I don't clipper her leg-feathering - I strip out the dead hair with a comb/rubber band, and then use straight scissors to cut the hair shorter - I hold the leg out straight in front of her to get a nice line  ;)

What do you mean by a comb with a rubber band through it?

I weave a brown rubber band (the sort that post-people use round the letters) through the teeth of a medium-toothed metal comb and run this through the coat after I have got the knots out  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club