Author Topic: clipping in the winter  (Read 1496 times)

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
clipping in the winter
« on: August 13, 2008, 11:18:28 AM »
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but we have had Pringle clipped a couple of times this year and really like how she is done and how she looks after.  With the winter getting closer I was just wondering if it is okay to carry on having her clipped through the winter or if there is a different clip that gets done when it is colder with less hair removed and what other people do.
Ann and Pringle

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: clipping in the winter
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »
I clip closer in winter  ph34r   

I use coats if my dogs are going to be on lead or standing still for any length of time in the wet/cold - but if they are running around, they don't notice the cold, and it is a lot easier to get them warm and dry afterwards with short hair  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 11:40:16 AM »

I use coats if my dogs are going to be on lead or standing still for any length of time in the wet/cold - but if they are running around, they don't notice the cold, and it is a lot easier to get them warm and dry afterwards with short hair  ;)

What she said. :D Jarvis happily dives into freezing water in the winter ::) so having a shorter coat keeps him warmer! :005:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 11:51:26 AM »
Mine are clipped the same in winter and summer.  I do put a coat on Meg now she's getting older as she does feel the cold but Jakey won't wear anything and TBH he's never standing still long enough to feel cold. 

TBH they are so much easier to keep clean and dry with short coats.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 12:43:38 PM »

Same here.  It's easier to dry them off when they are wet, although maybe I should have done that this summer  >:(
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I was thinking that it would be easier to keep her dry and clean if her coat was a bit shorter, I was just worrying about her getting cold, but obviously she is going to get dry and warm quicker if her coat is short  :D
Ann and Pringle

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 01:11:12 PM »
I keep Coco fairly short all year round - much easier to rinse off mud etc in winter if she is not so hairy.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 11:07:11 PM »
If they are house dogs I wouldn't worry to much - you could always buy her a wolley jacket if need be :D
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 11:15:14 AM »
If they are house dogs I wouldn't worry to much - you could always buy her a wolley jacket if need be :D

She already has a mini doggy version of a horsey new zealand rug type coat  :005:
Ann and Pringle