Author Topic: Dirty Ears  (Read 13810 times)

Offline luna_babe

• Site Member
Dirty Ears
« on: July 23, 2002, 09:11:24 AM »
Hi All,

As we all know cocker spaniels get their ears in everything and trying to keep them clean is a nightmere. I was just wondering if any of you had some tips for keeping them clean and also how much cleaning is health?

I worry about cleaning Oscar too much as it is not healthy, but on the flip side I worry about him getting them dirty and getting an ear infection.

An advice would be appreciated                    

Offline Barry Sharpe

• Site Member
    • http://www.astrohunter.net
Dirty Ears
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 09:42:21 AM »
Can just answer on my own findings, So i cannot say this is the way to do it. But we have had no problems. We give his ears a wipe after all meals just the tips. We also clean his ears with cotton wool once a day this is just a quick clean on the inside of the ear takes about 5 secounds an ear. Then weekly when he has had a bath we use some special wet tisues to give his ears a little more cleaning but never deep inside hie ear. Just a little more thourough than the normal daily clean, at this time we give his ears a good look over.

Thats all we do... i shall kepp an eye on the thread to see if i am doing it right :)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Dirty Ears
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2002, 10:00:24 AM »
I wish all owners were as diligent as you, Barry  :) I frequently have Cockers in for grooming with dirty, smelly ears that haven't had a cleaning for months  :(

Can't add much to your routine except to say that in addition, I use an old-fashioned ear powder called "Thornit", just a pinch every week or so. This helps to prevent any ear trouble & keeps ears clean & fresh (it also works very well as a treatment should there be a problem with excess wax, ear mites, minor infection etc) You can buy this online from http://www.championpets.freeserve.co.uk/ears.htm                    
Jane

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Dirty Ears
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 04:58:33 PM »
prevention is better than cure - peg Oscars ears together on tiop of his head when he's eating :D                    

Offline richard sigrist

• Site Member
Dirty Ears
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 05:07:45 PM »
I've heard about pegging ears before, but surely clothes pegs are too tight and would hurt the ears? Is there anything else you can use?

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Dirty Ears
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2002, 06:26:35 PM »
Hi All,
I have a handy hint for keeping ears back at meal times........ towelling hair bands. They are just perfect for a cockers ears. Mine all know (even my 5 month old cool dude puppy - Otis 8)) that they don't have their dinner until the bands have gone in. I have done this from as soon as the ears were big enough to stay back, and although you do get them shaken out (so obviously their not too tight) occasionally I find it saves a lot of time in the long run. Better than cleaning up bits of food debris out of 8 ears! :P
It might take a bit of getting used to for an older dog but I find they soon forget about them when the bowl is put in front of them.
Hope this helps :D                    

Offline luna_babe

• Site Member
Dirty Ears
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2002, 08:30:37 AM »
OK I am going to try the hairband idea.......... hahaha!!!! I'm gonna get you Oscar! ;D

I have tried a dish with a lip round the top so his ears fell down the sides of it, but he couldn't get his food from under the lip...... poor dog :-

Thanks for the advice!

Rowena                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Dirty Ears
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2002, 10:25:21 AM »
you can get proper bowls designed for dogs with long ears from your local pet store. The rim is about 2+ cms wide all the way around, and it is designed to stop your cocker's ears from getting in the food/drink.

Of course, it doesnt work when your cocker insists on jumping into the food/drink feet first... Daisy really needs a course in table manners  ::)                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Dirty Ears
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2002, 10:26:47 AM »
Although Fudge isn't a full bred cocker he's got quite dangly ears, I just use one of the high sided spaniel bowls when he starts eating his ears automatically flop over the sides of the bowl, plus I feed him dried food 90% of the time. The pegging of the ears takes me back 20 + years, my mums friend used to do it to her black cocker Jeanie!!
To Michelle ;)At long last we meet ;D                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Dirty Ears
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2002, 03:04:13 PM »
I use the high sided bowls too & they seem to work well for my lot - haven't had to resort to pegs yet anyway  :)                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Dirty Ears
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2002, 04:41:12 PM »
Hi All,
Okay I've got some photo's of the dog's eating their dinner with ears tied back somewhere  :o & when I can work how to scan them in  (I never have got the hang of the scanner I reckon its got gremlins in it! >:() I will post them up for you all to have a good laugh at my beautiful babes expense. But as they say 'He who laughs last' etc.

Gilly,amazing how we have stayed so similar, even posing for a photo in exactly the same way ;D lol                    

Offline Jude

• Site Member
Dirty Ears
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2002, 07:46:56 PM »
For the inside of the ear I use a product which is homeopathic and called Thornit.  It is a very clean medical smell and I use it more as a prevention once a month.  It is about £6 for a small bottle which lasts quite a while.

As for the outside - I just brush and comb as often as possible.  Contact me if you need more information as this cannot be bought in stores or at vets.                    

Offline stueymac

• Tech Support
  • Administrator
    • CockersOnline
Dirty Ears
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2002, 09:16:16 AM »
I wish all owners were as diligent as you, Barry  :) I frequently have Cockers in for grooming with dirty, smelly ears that haven't had a cleaning for months  :(

Can't add much to your routine except to say that in addition, I use an old-fashioned ear powder called "Thornit", just a pinch every week or so. This helps to prevent any ear trouble & keeps ears clean & fresh (it also works very well as a treatment should there be a problem with excess wax, ear mites, minor infection etc) You can buy this online from http://www.championpets.freeserve.co.uk/ears.htm

See above for the link to buy Thornit                    

Offline joanne

• Site Member
Dirty Ears
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2002, 08:36:58 PM »
I try and clean Jenna's  ears with the ear wipes but it is a thankless task, she really doesnt like it and I have real problems wiping them.

I usually have to bribe her and give her something tasty to chew on, that way my hands get a rest from those teeth.

Anybody elses dog naughty when they are being groomed or do I just have a little tinker on my hands. ;D                    
Joanne and Jenna xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Dirty Ears
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2002, 11:12:27 PM »
It's normal for puppies to play up when you initially start grooming them but I wouldn't opt for the "bribery" approach - inadvertently you are rewarding her for being naughty. Do you groom her/wipe her ears on a table/raised surface? Hope you're not struggling with her on the floor anyway  :) Try only rewarding her when you have finished the grooming session - you are the one in control, you decide when the session is over & when she has a reward. Never stop what you are doing because she doesn't like it & always say "No" very firmly if she nips at you (you really have to mean it, a gentle "no" won't do it!) Remember to practise the grooming routine every day (10 mins or so) & with time you'll have a puppy who will happily accept being groomed!                    
Jane