Author Topic: Working Cocker - to Coat King or not Updated 26 Sept  (Read 11100 times)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
I was going to resort to a stripping knife - or will I be excommunicated?

Since you have a working cocker you don't have to play by the "rules"  :005: That;s just for show competition. Stripping knife or thinning shears will do a nice job on what little bit he has there (and you can use the tooth side of thinners like a stripping knife, just open the scissors and drag the toothed edge over the coat  ;)) Thinners would go the fastest, just cut in the exact direction the hair is growing in

the feet are criminal I know, they look fine for about 3 days and then when the fur grows back it comes back in chunks

I think that what is happening is more likely that after 3 days of running around and getting wet, all the little stray tufts that were hiding between his toes, and other hiding places that hair finds, have come up where you can see them. Feet are usually an ongoing project; I have 4 days of shows this weekend and have had to trim Brackens feet every day  ::)

They got rid of most of the fluffy stuff but it seems to be growing back in again and really I want her legs thinning out as well as cutting so not sure what to do now. I'll try and find before and photos and hopefully someone can tell me what I should do ;)

Yes, it usually requires at least monthly maintenance. You can do this with the thinning shears, like I said, point the thinners in the same direction as the hair lays and make a few cuts and brush. How deeply into the hair you cut depends on how much you want to thin out, but if you make a few cuts, brush out the hair that's been cut (otherwise it stays in the coat) and look at it you'll be able to tell as you go.

(and if I touch the tuft apparently that spells d.i.v.o.r.c.e  :005: )

I can understand that-- I could never cut off that tuft if he were mine!  :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Thanks so much Michelle  :-* :-*

really helpful tips  :D  he'll never be the neatest boy in the world (which is fine with me) but a little bit of tidying up is necessary  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline SJP

• Site Member
Sally - Braan's front legs look exactly like lola's  :D
I just brush with a normal brush at the mo and they are getting less fluffy (he's now 14 months old )

I think I'm going to leave Lola alone then - perhaps I am expecting the impossible.

(and if I touch the tuft apparently that spells d.i.v.o.r.c.e  :005: )

Livercake I cut off Lola's topknot/tuft  :o and it sticks up all over the place now - looks cute (on a girl).

She looks ok but I was expecting her feathering to be much lighter and probably a bit shorter. could I do that with a Coat King?

I think Betty looks great, but I do agree that I would want her fevvers to be "lighter".

Sally & Lola xxx

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
I love Roxys topknot and said i would never get it cut however it now gets so long that it starts to flop over her eyes like curtains so it will be going next week!

:blink:

Offline *AmandaB*

• Site Member
Not showing in working trials competition?  I would go with the thinning scissors, hold the leg out in front of you as straight as you can with these fidgetty cockers! then scissor down the leg in the direction of hair growth starting on the top ridge, slicker the cut hair as you go then you can move around the leg in bits to get straight short / feathering lines.
If you coat king it will take longer but also depending on the size of the teeth you might catch some of the bumps of the joints on the leg I would trim some away first then coat king out the last bits when you can see a bit more leg definition.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Not showing in working trials competition? 

You can still groom them any way you like, in trials they are not interested in how the dog looks  ;) :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline *AmandaB*

• Site Member
Sorry, I ment at some champ shows and Crufts they have a working trials show class, which some owners feel is a working dog in show groom. this trails and showing lark can be really confusing can't it? Hair grows back give it a go!

Offline SJP

• Site Member
Re: Working Cocker - to Coat King or not that is the question NOW WITH PICTURE
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 09:52:41 PM »
 :-\ Sorry to bring this thread up again but......

...now that autumn is upon us Lola's body hair has become a broom!  She's not keen on me brushing/combing her (I think since she has been spayed she's become hairier - but fortunately not all over - just her legs and belly) so tonight whilst she snoozed I cut out all the knotty bits (particularly under the arm pits and on her legs) - it's getting ridiculous and I've decided to take her to the groomers and get the lot cut off.  She's far too hairy to leave all winter and it takes a long time for her to dry once I've hosed off the majority of the mud she brings home. 

As suggested on this thread, I was going to leave her and let nature sort it out, but I'm not sure even nature will be able to find its way thru all that tangled dead hair  :005:

My question now is.....once I go down this route will I always have to do this do you think? 

Sally & Lola xxx