Author Topic: At what age do you groom?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
At what age do you groom?
« on: May 21, 2004, 02:39:56 PM »
Billy is seven months old.I brush him every day, not because he particularly needs it,just to get him used to it.
His coat is quite short, i presumed it would grow and was expecting to have to take him to be trimmed by now but  he is ok. Is this normal? there is a cocker at training classes the same age which has a long thick coat, totally the opposite to Billy's  :?  :?

I have stripped his old fur, i bought a tool from the pet shop,lots of fur came out,particularly on his head  :?  :?  but apart from that he looks ok.
Are some cockers short haired? Are you supposed to get them trimmed anyway even if short haired?

any help please                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 03:26:13 PM »
It sounds like you're doing fine with Billy's grooming :) Not all Cockers have heavy puppy coats - some have much finer coats with very little puppy fluff. If Billy is one of those, then you'll have a nice easy coat to deal with & you may be able keep him looking tidy without professional trimming. Have you trimmed his feet at all yet? They might need a little bit of a tidy-up as even finer coated Cockers tend to get hairy feet :)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 03:30:55 PM »
Thanks Jane  :lol:
its funny you should say that, we were looking at his feet this morning, they are getting a bit long. I bought some trimming scissors from pets at home, was going to wait until he is tired tonight (he is more likley to stay still) and give them a little trim. Or do you recommend i take him to a groomer???                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 03:39:13 PM »
Or do you recommend i take him to a groomer???

Not at all - I think most owners can tidy their Cocker's feet with a little bit of practice :wink: Michele has kindly posted some guidance on trimming feet which you'll find just above this thread :)

Jane                    
Jane