Author Topic: Please help :( :(  (Read 1742 times)

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
Please help :( :(
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:27:21 PM »
I'm not sure if this should be in Grooming or Behaviour - so Mods please move if needed!

I am really struggling with Molly  :'(  :'(

She has not been properly groomed (groomers) since May but she hasnt even had a decent brush since July  :embarassed: - not through lack of trying, believe me!

As soon as I get the grooming box from the cupboard she hides away  :-\

I try every day to brush her but she just wont let me and keeps snapping at me and growling  :-\ :'(

There are now quite big matts under her belly and legs and she wont let me near her and she looks so bad now i'm too embarassed to take her to the groomers  :embarassed:

I was wondering if she had something wrong with her belly but she lets me stroke her and play with her hair so I dont think anything is wrong there  :-\

Please can any of you help?? I am really very upset and dont know what to do :(

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Re: Please help :( :(
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:35:50 PM »
Sorry your having problems...really you need to get her to associate grooming as a pleasant experience and one to look forward to. It's difficult to advise on a forum but I would start from scratch with her. Get her used to seeing the brush in your hand, give her a tasty treat and lots of praise - don't even try to brush her until she fully accepts the brush close by and associates it with good things like, treats, praise etc..then slowly move on.

There's no need to be embarrassed to take her to the groomers. If her coat is really bad you may have no choice. Just explain you have been having problems i'm sure they will be helpful, they probably see this kind of thing often. You may find she will accept a stranger grooming her. Often dogs behave much better at the groomers than they do for the owners :blink:

Hope this is of some help.
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
Thank you Kelly  :-*

I will try getting her used to everything again!

She will be 4 in November and have never had trouble with her before - just wondering if she had a bad time in the groomers and it has scared her?? I hope not  :-\

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
If she's been fine up until now then quite possibly she could have had a bad experience of some kind. It maybe worth having her checked over by your vet incase theres another reason for her sudden change in behaviour?

Hope you get it sorted :D

Visit our website

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:01:28 PM »
Well its been a month since I posted and I had no progress with Molly at all  :-\

I used treats, didnt work, gave her loads of praise but it still didnt work - she would tolorate so much then snap at me run away and hide  :'(

I noticed some of her skin was becoming sore by her matts so decided it was time for her to visit my MIL.

She offered to groom Molly before but i didnt want Molly snapping at anyone so refused.......but Molly is there now!

My FIL has just phoned to say Molly is being good as gold and is nearly finished, MIL has had to shave her quite severly but I'm not bothered as long as Molly is happy again!!

I cant believe Molly is being so good for them  ::)

I'm so happy tonight  :D

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 09:07:07 PM »
Jarvis does the snapping when i groom his feet, >:( and in all honesty the ONLY thing to make any difference has been a muzzle. When he's muzzled i can easily trim his feet, and even clip his claws with no stress for either of us, and then when i'm finished he gets a treat and is soooooo much calmer and happier. :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:08:06 PM »

I cant believe Molly is being so good for them  ::)

Hurley tolerates me grooming him but he doesnt like it very much. However he is very well behaved at the groomers  ;) ::)

So pleased you managed to get her sorted

xxx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 08:43:44 AM »
So pleased you have managed to get her sorted out, often dogs will play their mummy up but will be as good as gold with someone else :lol2:

Visit our website