Author Topic: Not walking show dogs because of the rain  (Read 5796 times)

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
Not walking show dogs because of the rain
« on: September 11, 2008, 09:19:25 AM »
At training last night I heard people moaning about all the rain recently and saying that it was a nightmare because they can't take the dogs out  :-\ It's never crossed my mind that our dogs wouldn't not go out because it was raining. This particularly Afghan last night was FULL of pent up energy and clearly needed a good run around.  I could just visualise that doing a wall of death around your lounge like a cocker  :rofl1:  . I can understand with all the pre-show grooming that is needed for certain dogs it would mean extra work, but not taking them out to me was so alien  :shades:  I don't know if this is common practice or just this woman.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: Not walking show dogs because of the rain
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
Isn't it part of the responsibility of pet-ownership to give the dogs what they need even if it doesn't quite fit in with our comfort and convenience?

If you don't want to walk a dog, get a goldfish instead!

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:47:21 AM »
Oh i couldn't not walk my two - they'd be dememted - I'd be demented....
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »
Our show dogs go out whatever the weather - they love the rain :005: I have to dry them carefully and they're groomed thoroughly every day to stop matts forming but they definitely go out rain or shine ;) The only exception is the day before a show - once they're bathed and trimmed, they won't be allowed to get soaking wet and muddy so exercise will be confined to pavement/concrete - no digging holes or jumping in muddy puddles :005: You can also get those all-in-one trousersuits to keep show dogs dry so there's no excuse for not taking them out really.
Jane

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 11:05:19 AM »
Was it the owners who didn't like the rain or the dogs? My cocker happily goes out in all weather, but my Vizsla hates the rain. If I dare to take him out skulks along with his tail between his legs and ears down. He even side steps puddles/mud :005: Having said that, I do not show my dogs.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 11:09:32 AM »
Was it the owners who didn't like the rain or the dogs? My cocker happily goes out in all weather, but my Vizsla hates the rain. If I dare to take him out skulks along with his tail between his legs and ears down. He even side steps puddles/mud :005: Having said that, I do not show my dogs.

Ah see what you mean! :lol2: Yep I have the same issue with Normy and Dave... Dave doesn't care she HATES it  :005: But I don't show either, although Janes approach sounds a lot better!

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 11:46:36 AM »
Was it the owners who didn't like the rain or the dogs?

My impression was that it was the owner who didn't wan't the extra grooming because the dog would get dirty  ph34r

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 12:50:47 PM »
I've heard this before. Someone at a cocker show said that they didnt walk their dogs for four days before a show so that the coat stayed clean....  >:(

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 01:07:07 PM »
I've heard this before. Someone at a cocker show said that they didnt walk their dogs for four days before a show so that the coat stayed clean....  >:(

That's crazy!  Surely they would be bathed the night before so it wouldnt matter how dirty they got before then!  Some people!  ::)

We see a lady walking her 5 red setters and I presume she shows as sometimes they have the all in one suits on!  :luv: 
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »
Heidi looked lovely after she went back to Sarah's for a trim and her first "proper" show and have to admit that OH would happily have kept her wrapped up in doors never to get dirty again  ph34r

Meanwhile, back in reality the next day she was up to her neck in muck  ;)

Don't think i could stand not getting them out

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 04:10:05 PM »
Mine have a set routine,rain or shine  :blink: they especially enjoy the rain as they   :luv: big muddy puddles.

What a shame poor dogs  :'(    mine would go mental or maybe I would with their behaviour  :-\

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 06:39:46 PM »
I remember a fabulous post by Top Barks that suddenly released me from my own *guilt* made me realise how obsessed I had become:

I am sorry but although the dog owning public of the UK believe it to be gospel there is no law that you must take your dog for a walk every single day although you do need to stimulate and spend quality time with them everyday.

I don't walk my dogs every day....although because I enjoy it, I do tend to have a routine that involves daily walks  ;)  Some of the recent one-to-one training we have been doing with Bonnee involves *homework* that has replaced our daily walks, though...... ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 07:13:55 PM »
I have a working cocker that would be bouncing off the walls if he didn't have a walk as WELL as stimulation and quality time.

I don't call that obsession   :shades:  I call that part of my dog ownership responsibilities of having this breed and strain of dog :blink:

The only time he has never been for at least 1 walk a day was when he was ill at the vets......

helen & jarvis x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 07:26:30 PM »

While it may be that a dog doesn't need to be walked every single day, it would need regular walks, and shouldn't be denied them just because it is raining.... I doubt the owners who are worried about the show coat getting wet are going to be doing lots of clicker training to wear out their dogs...  :-\  I am constantly amazed at the number of dog owners who stress about their dogs getting the tiniest bit muddy...  ::)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »
I have a working cocker that would be bouncing off the walls if he didn't have a walk as WELL as stimulation and quality time.

I don't call that obsession   :shades:  I call that part of my dog ownership responsibilities of having this breed and strain of dog :blink:

I agree Helen - you have a selectively bred working cocker  ;) 

My "obsession" was based around that fact that I believed that HAD to walk my dog every day - even though he didn't enjoy it that much - because imo, that was the done thing by dog owners  :shades:   
It took Marks comment that I have quoted for me to realise that actually, all dogs are different, and my dog didn't bounce off the walls if I didn't traipse around the streets with him as long as he was offered a range of stimulation and exercise  ;)  That might include setting up weaves in the kitchen as well as other games and activities to keep him thinking  ;)  Bonnee needs a different sort and level of stimulation to Molo - she is far clever  :005:

I am not suggesting that dogs are not walked for weeks at a time; but a successful show dog will inevitiably receive significant levels of stimulation and training in order to perform at their best in the ring, and so if they don't go out the day before the show in order to keep their coat clean, then I don't see how that can be considered irresponsible  :-\

I know of loads of dogs who get walked the same route, on lead, every day at the same time, with no interaction with their owners; just because a dog is walked every day, doesn't mean that they are stimulated  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club