Author Topic: Not walking show dogs because of the rain  (Read 5797 times)

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Re: Not walking show dogs because of the rain
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 10:07:11 PM »
Plus the millions and millions of different scents ...mine are heads down and off they go and if they find some fox poo well you can just imagine... :005:
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 10:31:27 PM »
I have been having problems with Tinkers coat because i take her over the fields and she gets muddy and wet she wears the coat away on the back of her front legs - they look awful at the moment - moth eaten - not great for showing but what can I do - she needs to go out ::)

We used to have this problem with Seeing Stars - in some of her early pics, it looked like the rats had been nibbling at her leg hair :005: I solved it by brushing a little coat oil into her feathers every few days, more often when it was wet (washed out before a show of course). Might be worth a try for Tinker?
Jane

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 10:33:09 PM »
Plus the millions and millions of different scents ...mine are heads down and off they go and if they find some fox poo well you can just imagine... :005:

Can someone tell me what fox poo is or take a photo of some   ph34r :005: Iv never seen it or smelt it? We do have foxes around because we hear them in the night!

REUBY DOOO!

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 10:39:06 PM »

Can someone tell me what fox poo is or take a photo of some   ph34r :005: Iv never seen it or smelt it? We do have foxes around because we hear them in the night!

When you smell it you will know believe me.  :005:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 10:47:46 PM »

Does it have a pooy smell? Are they like pellets or proper poo? Just so i know what to look for?  ph34r

Sorry but im curious!  :lol2:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 11:54:49 PM »

Can someone tell me what fox poo is or take a photo of some   ph34r :005: Iv never seen it or smelt it? We do have foxes around because we hear them in the night!

Does it have a pooy smell? Are they like pellets or proper poo? Just so i know what to look for?  ph34r

ph34r
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1070/576749625_638e164f84.jpg

:005:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2008, 08:46:24 AM »

ph34r

:005: :005: :005:

Is there a reason dogs roll in it?

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 08:50:38 AM »

ph34r

Cause it stinks!

Millie

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 08:53:09 AM »

ph34r

Cause it stinks!

It gets a reaction from their owners  ::)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2008, 09:07:05 AM »

The show teams day off! nothing that a good bath wont put right!

Michelle

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2008, 10:04:19 AM »
 :005: :005: Look at those two go.  :luv: :005:

I can vouch that Michelle's little uns certainly are not restricted from having fun, didn't they come to ringcraft that night with half of Formby beach with them Michelle.  :lol2: Was it the same weekend little Hannah qualified for Crufts?  :luv:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 10:09:14 AM »
Fab pics  :D

I may be deluded but I would have thought that part of the judging process includes the form of the dog - surely a lovely fit healthy dog with a great coat would stand more of a chance than a cooped up unfit dog with a nice hairdo?
helen & jarvis x

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
great photo  :lol2: looks like they are having great fun & so they should.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2008, 12:18:25 PM »
Fab pics  :D

I may be deluded but I would have thought that part of the judging process includes the form of the dog - surely a lovely fit healthy dog with a great coat would stand more of a chance than a cooped up unfit dog with a nice hairdo?

No you're right Helen, as naturally a dog that is fit and healthy with good muscle tone is going to move much better than one with 'chicken fillet' muscle.

As for rolling in fox poo, I believe it is a trait inherited from eons ago when dogs hunted for their food. By rolling in the muck it masked their own scent, and made them smell more of the surrounding enviroment, and so would enable them to get closer to their prey before being detected.

Florence - I will feed you, you don't need to do this::) :lol2:

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2008, 12:19:17 PM »
We used to have this problem with Seeing Stars - in some of her early pics, it looked like the rats had been nibbling at her leg hair  I solved it by brushing a little coat oil into her feathers every few days, more often when it was wet (washed out before a show of course). Might be worth a try for Tinker?

Thanks Jane I will give that a try - any particular type of coat oil? Her mum was exactly the same, her coat is very fine and soft and damages easily. I thought at first she had been chewing it but I spoke to a few people at the shows and they said no it's where it's been worn away. My next idea was to clip it in the hope it would grown back through thicker  :-\

I give her Yumega aswell but I was wondering if this is going to make the coat softer and more prone to damage? I know terrier people don't like to give their dogs oil eg evening primrose etc as they want the coat to be harsh and not soft. :huh:
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman