Author Topic: Not walking show dogs because of the rain  (Read 5795 times)

Offline KarenB

Re: Not walking show dogs because of the rain
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2008, 12:34:51 PM »
We used to have this problem with Seeing Stars - in some of her early pics, it looked like the rats had been nibbling at her leg hair  I solved it by brushing a little coat oil into her feathers every few days, more often when it was wet (washed out before a show of course). Might be worth a try for Tinker?

Thanks Jane I will give that a try - any particular type of coat oil? Her mum was exactly the same, her coat is very fine and soft and damages easily. I thought at first she had been chewing it but I spoke to a few people at the shows and they said no it's where it's been worn away. My next idea was to clip it in the hope it would grown back through thicker  :-\

I give her Yumega aswell but I was wondering if this is going to make the coat softer and more prone to damage? I know terrier people don't like to give their dogs oil eg evening primrose etc as they want the coat to be harsh and not soft. :huh:

What oil would you recommend as Rosie's coat also is very fine and whispery, also prone to breaking.

Offline hovis

• Site Member
    • www.kasordoncockers.com
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2008, 10:21:40 AM »
................synthetic carpet will also pull the coat out, I had the same problem with mooster looking a bit moth eaten & it took me ages to work out what it was >:( The synthetic carpet fibres have microscopic barbs which cling on to the hair so when the dog gets up theres a bit of 'stripping' going on  ph34r

Since she has been laying on a 100% wool rug her coat has improved 10 fold! Just means I need wool rugs in all her favourite snoozing areas - it will cost a fortune  :005:

Your dog is your friend, partner & defender. You are his life, love & leader. He will be yours, faithful & true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2008, 10:41:32 AM »
Thanks Jane I will give that a try - any particular type of coat oil? Her mum was exactly the same, her coat is very fine and soft and damages easily. I thought at first she had been chewing it but I spoke to a few people at the shows and they said no it's where it's been worn away. My next idea was to clip it in the hope it would grown back through thicker  :-\

I give her Yumega aswell but I was wondering if this is going to make the coat softer and more prone to damage? I know terrier people don't like to give their dogs oil eg evening primrose etc as they want the coat to be harsh and not soft. :huh:

I use Shaws Coat Oil - cheap and cheerful :D Have tried more expensive "dressings" and oils but always come back to good old Shaws.

I also give salmon oil to all our dogs & haven't found it makes the coat more prone to damage so far - I blame the British weather mainly :005:
Jane

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2008, 05:28:15 PM »
Thanks Jane :D
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2008, 09:17:28 AM »
My dogs are out in all weathers every day. Don't show that much, but when I do as soon as we get back from the show we are back out again same day running through the muddy fields.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.