Author Topic: Help - He looks like a punk rocker!!  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
Help - He looks like a punk rocker!!
« on: November 06, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
I have a problem!! my pup has a straight coat - the hair on his head is just sticking straight up and parting in places...., and bits are falling into a fringe over his face. I just can't get it to lay flat. 

When its wet I've tried putting the leg of a pair of tights over his head and ears, but as soon as its dry its sticking up again.  Its just starting to pull out but even that doesn't seem to make any difference, its still like a spike.  :005:

Is there anything I can do/buy to keep it flat?

Thanks all comments welcome  ;)

Offline SimonandMandy

Re: Help - He looks like a punk rocker!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:49:30 AM »
Sorry, I've no advice...But can we have a pic?  :D

Si.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 08:53:28 AM »
No advice either other than cutting it short.   :shades:  Otherwise just embrace his quiff - I think they look cute  :luv: :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 09:17:15 AM »
sounds like Braan's - OH says it's cos of the shape of his head as it's different from fern's.  ::) (men)

I use a stripping stone when it gets too bad (OMG just thought I'd better get him looking presentable otherwise my guest at the weekend will get her mitts on him and maybe even say I'm not looking after him properly so will steal him back - any excuse to get her mitts on him  :005: )

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 05:19:03 PM »
Awww...would love to see a pic  ;)

Let him go natural I would say... ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Dark Side

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 06:01:37 PM »
Do you mind if i butt in as I'm having the same problem and Monty's got a show on Saturday and sunday how do you use a stripping stone, Ive bought one a while ago but am baffled as to how to use it, do you scrape the block over an area or break it into pieces. As i said am at a loss has how to use it.

Offline Mundyboy

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 06:37:05 PM »
Sorry do not know about a stripping stone.  I thin Mundy by 'plucking' out his dead hair with finger and thumb.  A good pair of thinning scissors does the rest around his ears etc.  Having said that I do not 'show' him and find that the thinning scissors do more than perhaps they should.  It grows back quick which means more work and mean time he does tend to loose the 'soft' look that the breed is known for.  Do what you can and when you go to the show ask others how they have achieved their look.  Most will be happy to share their experiences (although some.........)!  Good luck.
I love my dogs.  They make it worth getting out of bed in the morning.

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »
Do you mind if i butt in as I'm having the same problem and Monty's got a show on Saturday and sunday how do you use a stripping stone, Ive bought one a while ago but am baffled as to how to use it, do you scrape the block over an area or break it into pieces. As i said am at a loss has how to use it.

I wouldnt use a stripping stone on his head, it needs to be hand stripped, if its ready to strip of course.

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 06:48:36 PM »

stop stop!!  :005: I wouldn't use a stripping stone on a show dog - they tend to break the hair, try and pull it out if you can ok.  I find a very blunt hacksaw blade or something with a serrated edge does the job also.

Its a long time since I used a stripping stone, but heres how you do it, if I remember rightly:

Pick up the hair. Use the stripping stone on the undercoat sort of thing (!!) flicking it towards you. Keep combing the coat through. These stones tend to leave dandruff, so dog will need a bath after use.  I always used the whole stone, but I guess you can use a peice the best size for you.

As I say, its many years since I used one, so other opinions please!!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 07:50:48 PM »
I don't find the stripping stone leaves any dandruff  :-\ but I only use it on his top knot and fluffy legs

as for a bath  :o whats one of them  :huh: I never bath my dogs - yep even when Braan had totally rolled in cow muck, he washed it off himself (well ok I helped by throwing the ball in) by going in and out of the loch  :005: no he didn't smell in the car on the way home either  ;)

Mind you I don't know much about grooming  :shades: so perhaps it's a good job I don't own a show cocker  ;)

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 09:04:35 PM »
I wouldn't use a stripping stone or knife on a show dog - hand strip with finger and thumb when it's ready ;)
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline LisaB

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 11:15:44 PM »
I used a thinning scissors on the head - looks great (though I am not going to show)

Offline Dark Side

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 06:22:14 PM »
only the ends are coming out on his topknot i dont think its ready, so how do i flatten it down, Hair gel or hairspray perhaps as i dont want him to look a mess against all the 'PROFESIONALS'.

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »
only the ends are coming out on his topknot i dont think its ready, so how do i flatten it down, Hair gel or hairspray perhaps as i dont want him to look a mess against all the 'PROFESIONALS'.

Here's an old trick........have you tried cutting the leg off an old pair of tights, cut holes for his legs - wet his coat a bit and make a body stocking? it works and keeps the coat really flat - but he will be really embarassed so don't take him out in it!  obviously leave it on until hes totally dry.
Have a go  ;)  good luck at the show!

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 10:33:37 PM »
If it's not ready then leave it- you don't want to break the hair...Don't worry if he is a bit wooley - judges will/should forgive a hairy puppy ;)
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman