Author Topic: Might be sending Jarvis to a groomer - Update, he's been  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Might be sending Jarvis to a groomer - Update, he's been
« on: November 11, 2008, 11:03:20 AM »
And i'm terrified :embarassed: i know it's very silly, and i'm sure he'll be fine, but he's never been before. I should do it myself but i just hate the fur going everywhere and trying to amuse small boy and clip a grumpy cocker all at once is no fun. ::) They'll probably also do a much better job than me. ph34r :lol2:

Have found a local groomer who does everything for £30 and has no problem using a muzzle ph34r to do his feet.

Some reasurance would be great. :embarassed: Do other send their grumpy cockers to the groomers? What should i be looking for/asking them? :huh:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
Re: Might be sending Jarvis to a groomer
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:29:46 PM »
I was terrified when Ollie went for the first time. She let him watch what was going on for a few hours before starting on him - then she just took it really easy and only did what she though he could manage. As long as your groomer would know when to stop if Jarvis was getting really grumpy he should be fine. She let him go at his pace - so i think the key is to finding the right groomer!

and the more he goes the easier it should get for him. Maybe just let him have a bath and dry first then a couple of weeks later go for the cut it may help feel more settled!!

L&O x

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »
Might be worth 'stealing' a photo or two off COL, so you can show the groomer what you want done.

( I had pics of feet and legs to show my groomer!!  :005:)
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 12:36:13 PM »
Might be worth 'stealing' a photo or two off COL, so you can show the groomer what you want done.

( I had pics of feet and legs to show my groomer!!  :005:)

That's no problem, we do everything off :005: practical rather than pretty for my swamp monster. :005:

I was terrified when Ollie went for the first time. She let him watch what was going on for a few hours before starting on him - then she just took it really easy and only did what she though he could manage. As long as your groomer would know when to stop if Jarvis was getting really grumpy he should be fine. She let him go at his pace - so i think the key is to finding the right groomer!

and the more he goes the easier it should get for him. Maybe just let him have a bath and dry first then a couple of weeks later go for the cut it may help feel more settled!!

L&O x

I'll have a chat to her and see what she recommends, he's such a mummy's boy though that i think being left for longer may stress him out. :-\ I could maybe arrange to take him up there a day or two before and just let him have a sniff around and meet her.

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:48:15 PM »
Just remember if she's a good groomer she'll be used to all sorts of dogs/behaviour's so will probably have a few tricks up her sleeve to keep him calm!!!

Good luck - let us know how it goes

L&O x

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 12:51:22 PM »

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »
You may be surprised particularly if you have found a good groomer.  Ours does not use leads or muzzles, she spends time with them to relax them before they are bathed.  Our boy gets bored very quick but she finds him no problem and obviously has no issues as when I pick him up he is fast asleep - best bit I love is that she gets him nice and short where needed but makes sure he still looks like a cocker...  you never know Jarv may be perfectly fine feet and all...

Offline cockers mum

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 01:28:34 PM »
He should be fine, we are dog groomers and find they let the groomer do things they will not let their owners do . We have dogs in and the owners say they wont let them groom them at all, they just stand there and lets us do it with no problems. Most are like children, play up for mum and dad but behave for other people. Tell the groomer how you want him doing, if you do not like it, dont go there again. Also we never string dogs up, and only use a muzzle after the first bite.! which is very rare.

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 01:54:40 PM »
Beth,

Bailey suffers really badly from SA and is such a mummy's boy. He was in last week getting his 'haircut' I took him in a few times to let her bath him then he went for the cut. He has been in a good few times now and I always take his fave toy and a top i've worn so when he's drying off he just lies there on top of them! He is a real whinger and I really worry. A few times I've gone in to pick him up and he's been moaning but not a distressed moan IYKWIM, a more 'get me out of here mum' moan! He also has some 'issues' with his feet but she says he is great - sometimes flips round to see what she's doing but no growling (wish he's do that for me! >:()

I wrote a whole paragraph and said nothing really!!!

What i'm trying to say is if you think he will be a bit upset ask if you can pop in for an hour the day before and get him used to her.
When you drop him off for the proper cut ask her to call you if he gets really upset and you can go and sit with him, or just ask if she's ok with you staying from the start.

The drama they cause over a haircut!!!  :005:
Let me know how you get on, I know it's a horrible feeling when you don't know how they'll react when you're not there but I'm sure the Jarv will be fine  :luv:

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance everyone, but particularly jay06 (glad i'm not the only one with a mummy's boy ph34r :005:)

I'll have a good chat with her and keep my fingers crossed he behaves himself. quite looking forward to a couple of hours peace too ph34r :lol2: :luv:

Offline Emmylou

• Site Member
  • Cosby and Boo!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 06:15:15 PM »
He'll probably be fine.  Cosby is such a grumpy cocker and doesn't even like us brushing him.  If he gets a little knot in his coat then it just gets worse because he will not let you anywhere near him nevermind try to comb it out.  So we were really nervous taking him to the groomers, but he's absolutely fine.  And for years we took him to the same groomer because we thought he was the only one who could handle him - not the case.  We've since taken him to a different groomers and they said he was great.  Every groomer we have been to has told us to stop worrying and have said that he is fine when we're not around!!

So, don't worry he'll be fine.  They are used to handling dogs and have probably come across much grumpier dogs than Jarvis

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 08:54:56 PM »
had another chat with the groomer and she seems really lovely :D she asked me lots of questions and echoed everyone on here saying that often they are much nortier for their owners. She also said that with feet and  claws she'll just see how he is, and if he gets stressed she'll just leave it, so that was reassuring. :D

He's booked in on the 21st and have fingers crossed he'll be fine.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:01:49 PM »
Dogs are like kids....worse for their parents than anyone else!!!!

I'm sure he will be fine, Baja will come and hold his paw.....he also gets everything cut off so would be more than willing to lend a paw! :005:

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 08:43:41 AM »
Thanks for the reassurance everyone, but particularly jay06 (glad i'm not the only one with a mummy's boy ph34r :005:)

I'll have a good chat with her and keep my fingers crossed he behaves himself. quite looking forward to a couple of hours peace too ph34r :lol2: :luv:

No probs Beth  :-*

Glad to see he he's going and you will be sooo glad of the peace!  :005: It's amazing the things you can do in 2 hours without a mad Spaniel!  ::)
She sounds really good, so fingers crossed jarvis will be ok. (which I'm sure he will and just make you look neurotic - been there done that!!!!  ::)  :005:)

Post some pics when he's all baldy and let us know how he gets on!!!

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Re: Might be sending Jarvis to a groomer - Update, he's been
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 03:49:40 PM »
He's back, and oh so gorgeous! :shades: :luv: She seemed really genuinely lovely, and seemed to quite like the handsome one too. ;) He was apparently very well behaved except for the feet, so they have a few little tufts left on, but i did tell her i'd prefer a not quite perfect job than a stressed dog, and she took that on board, which is reassuring for me.

He looks and smells GORGEOUS! :luv: :luv: :luv: I'm really pleased with how he's been done. (though he has no ears so i'm sure the anti-clipping brigade will be most unimprssed :lol2:) I also forgot to tell her to leave his eyelashes ph34r so they've gone too :'( but that's my fault. ::) :005:

Photo's later ;) :D