Author Topic: What to ask for ..first trip to the groomers?????  (Read 1103 times)

Offline lorri

• Site Member
What to ask for ..first trip to the groomers?????
« on: July 07, 2004, 07:34:16 PM »
It's two  weeks till Jrvis who is 6 months gets his first trim . I'm really really nervous :? Jarvis is looking very cute and the moment and everybody that passes tell us how gorgeous he looks all fluffy :D but...he is getting very untidy and i want him to get used to get his coat cut as early as possible.

What should i tell the groomer to do just to make sure were clear on how i want  Jarvis cut i want to keep him looking like a cocker. We met another cocker at our puppy training classes who had just had his first hair cut and his legs were really messy looking.....I have asked for him to be hand stripped but where???

Any help and advice would be really welcome..please..

lorraine and Jarvis

p.s Oh and one more thing...Is there any books on grooming cockers with lots and lots of pictures that i can maybe get my hands on so i can think about maybe attempting it myself ..very scarey thought !!!!!! :?                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 10:25:24 PM »
The one thing I really hated when I saw other cockers cut was the way their legs and feet were shorn as it made them look like goats! Thankfully my present groomer is very experienced at cockers and when I told them what I hated they said that I must want them to look like cats paws. Had never heard that one before but they gave me what I wanted.

You really need to ring/ask around to find the groomer who'll do what you want if you want them stripped. While my 2 are clipped (they're neutered anyway) the groomer does a nice cut and my two end up still looking how cockers should be. I asked all the cocker owners I could. Some groomers are more experienced that others with certain breeds.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 08:36:03 AM »
Beware Lorraine as I was a victim of a mad clipper lady  :shock:   (The lady was very, very nice I have to add :wink: )

But, my lovely hairy Piper came back to me looking like a PIGLET  :cry:  :shock:  :lol:

I asked around then and have now found a someone who is used to grooming Cockers and also wants them to continue looking like Cockers if you know what I mean  :wink:

If you look through the threads there is lots of information on how to do it, videos and books available and some before and after shots that may help you  :D

Good luck!                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx