Author Topic: Great Advice & Help  (Read 1416 times)

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Great Advice & Help
« on: July 05, 2004, 11:05:11 AM »
Since reading the topics on the forum, I ordered myself some thinning scissors, straight scissors, Spratts 76 and the smaller coat king.

Yesterday I gave it a go for myself, with a very patient Neo.  I didn't overdo it, just tidied up his ears, gave his feet a bit of a trim and tidied up the feathers near his feet and under his tail  :wink:

I wanted to thank everyone who provides such useful and wonderful help and advice, because I'd never have had the confidence to give it a go without you all.  

I'm going to do a small bit at a time and try not to ruin him, but he has been clipped a couple of times, even though I didn't want him to be.  Just one question his coat is quite curly, and am not sure of the best way to deal with his head/neck, as am not sure about hand stripping and the coat king doesn't seem to work on this bit??                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Great Advice & Help
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 05:17:06 PM »
Well done tania for having a go yourself  :D
With the head and neck you'll probably get the best result if you use the thinning scissors. Trimming by hand after a dog has been clipped can be quite a task, but with patience and time I'm sure you'll get there.
Have you posted any pics in the gallery, would love to see some  :D                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Great Advice & Help
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 05:29:20 PM »
Neo does make an appearance in the Gallery (http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/photo/New-Rogues/Neo_On_His_Cushion) there are some other's too, he looks quite tidy so he probably had been groomed a few weeks before.

I always felt his ears looked too high, so I've thinned them further down, which is making him look much more like a proper cocker!

Luckily although he's been clipped (not making the same mistake with Jovi), he hasn't been neutered so his coat is still pretty good.  I will take some more pictures of him when I think I've got him looking better... He keeps getting the huff with me because I attack his head everytime he sits next to me!!   :)                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Great Advice & Help
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 06:52:12 PM »
Good for you - keep it up :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline lorri

• Site Member
Great Advice & Help
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 07:38:03 PM »
Im still undecided if i want to trim Jarvis myself very nervous that i amke a complete mess of him..I dont know of any other cockers i can compare him to apart from one who just gets everything clipped. I have done a bit of stripping as his breeder showed me.

Anyway well done you.

Lorraine and Jarvis                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Great Advice & Help
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 01:43:21 PM »
Im still undecided if i want to trim Jarvis myself very nervous that i amke a complete mess of him..
Lorraine and Jarvis

Hi Lorraine
What have you got to lose?  Have a go - you've got to start somewhere and with practice you will get there.  Good luck :D                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!