Author Topic: Hand-Stripped Cocker Photos  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Oliver21508

Hand-Stripped Cocker Photos
« on: December 30, 2008, 05:46:29 PM »
Hiya

I would like to see the result of hand stripping a cocker. I want to see what Ollie will look like when he's hand-stripped. He'll be show-trimmed.

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
Re: Hand-Stripped Cocker Photos
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 06:25:43 PM »
Look in the show photo section on here  ;)

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »
When are you taking him to be hand stripped then?!
I'm also curious but after trying a little bit of hand stripping myself on Marty am amazed at how much smarter i can make him look with only using my thumb and finger no scissors etc and just a slicker brush.

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 07:17:16 PM »
we are going to have him hand stripped in April when the weather has warmed up and when I want to start showing him.

Offline cockers mum

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »
how old is your dog? He should be hand stripped as soon as his puppy coat has blown, or his coat will be spoiled. Blown means when the coat has gone very dry and fluffy, and comes out very easily Usually before a year old. He will need stripping at least once a month to keep his coat in show condition, it is better if you learn to do this yourself.You can buy grooming videos which will show you how to do this

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »
I've started doing a bit of hand stripping myself just to get him used to it, he doesnt seem to mind, however my breeder doesnt want me to show him so it's just to smarten him up.

Going to get him handstripped properly when it gets a little looser
xx

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
He's 7 months and he'll be 11 months in April. It's just it's so cold at the moment that we want him to keep his warm coat.

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »
He's 7 months and he'll be 11 months in April. It's just it's so cold at the moment that we want him to keep his warm coat.

He wont be cold, he will still have fur  :luv:

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 09:51:55 PM »
Do they just take off the top half of their body, their head and top of their ears? And then leave the rest long? And how do you do it yourself?

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 10:41:58 PM »
Do they just take off the top half of their body, their head and top of their ears? And then leave the rest long? And how do you do it yourself?

Yes  ;) I am still learning myself after 6 months, so not the best person to advise you, but the dvd that someone mentioned is a good starter to show you how to strip. The details for the dvd are in the grooming section.

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 10:44:33 PM »
We were planning to take him to the groomers and get them to do it. They'll do it to show standard won't they?

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 10:54:55 PM »
We were planning to take him to the groomers and get them to do it. They'll do it to show standard won't they?

Not necessarily. :-\
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 11:52:35 PM »
I am no expert on these sort of things but i think just like going to the hairdressers ourselves going to a groomers can sometimes go a little wrong. I would probs suggest having a good look through all of the grooming section especially the section on hand stripping, i've found some really useful information on there and have started try a bit out on marty whilst deciding whether to take him to the groomers or not.
Plus i think even some groomers have different perspectives and ideas about show standards. How about taking a look in the show section aswel seeing if theres any useful things on there about how is best to groom etc
xx

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 07:48:54 AM »
Roly (8months) had his first grooming in December (hand-stripped).  However it's not something that can be done in one go and he will be going back every 6-8 weeks to keep on top of it.  He was quite fluffy to start off with (but not quite as fluffy as Ollie).  A few months on he's quite fluffy again but not as much as before.  Also the different colours on him have different textures, with the white being quite easy to strip and lying quite flat and the liver being much denser and far more fluffy. 

Be very careful when it comes to groomers, ask what experience that have with grooming spaniels to show standard.  The first time I took Misha to a groomer who was highly recommended, only to find that she was a great fan of clippers.  When I picked her up I was told that her coat wasn't suitable for stripping.  She was very fluffy before she went in and when she came out her coat was just short and fluffy.  The only good thing was that she wasn't clipped too close.  They clip because its quicker and because she was quite a busy groomer it meant that she could get through more dogs.  So only now 6 months on Misha's coat is starting to look a lot better and lie nice and flat.

Whilst I don't intend to show my two I do like the traditional look for Cocker Spaniels.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 12:33:25 PM »
I've realized that the different coat colours on Ollie have different textures. The white is quite flat and smooth, and the brown is very fluffy and curly. Is the Spaniel 76 comb used for stripping, rather than your hands? Do you think Ollie's ready for stripping?