Author Topic: New to hand stripping  (Read 1352 times)

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
New to hand stripping
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:35:29 AM »
Hi,

Marty is 7 and a half months old and is a black unneutered male show cocker. I have started hand stripping him but only in small sessions,  his fur comes out quite easily when plucked out ( ive looked at all the stickys on hand stripping and several posts in the grooming section). I would like to look into getting a coat king although they do look a bit pricey ( I'm unemployed at the moment and have just graduated university) but i was just wondering will it be cost effective in the long run.. i.e not going to the groomers as this is another cost that im worrying about.

Dont get me wrong i would spend every last penny on him but also need to make sure have enough to live on and to keep buying his food etc.

My question is what are the bare minimum i will need to groom him myself  ( ive read the topic about essential equipment), just wondered if anyone else had any suggestions?

I think he will be neutered in a few weeks time what will this mean for his coat?! I'm not going to show him as the contract i have with the breeder says i cant breed from him or show him. So just want him to look a bit smarter hes like a teddy bear at the moment

Thankyou

Claire

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
Re: New to hand stripping
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:52:02 AM »
 :D See the threat on pg1 What is Handstripping? it has all the info you need on there, equipment needed and links for where to buy

Hope this helps x

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 10:52:55 AM »
 :lol2: Meant thread not threat!!!!

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »
lol thanks, ive already read through it but will go give it another look

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 11:50:25 AM »

You'd need straight scissors, thinning scissors, slicker brush and also a Coat King... proper 'finger and thumb' handstripping is unlikely to be an option eventually if Marty is neutered. The Coat King is a good compromise and well worth the money imo.

It might seem an expensive outlay at first but by doing the grooming/trimming yourself you will save a lot of money in the long run.   

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 12:17:07 PM »
Thanks Colin,

Thats what i thought I have a slicker brush already and am using a comb. Will make sure to save some of the money for his grooming equipment.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 12:38:31 PM »

Out of interest which slicker brush do you have ? I've wasted so much money on numerous different ones over the years but have found the large Mikki Nifty Slicker to be by far the best - none of the others have been anywhere near as effective at brushing through thick Cocker feathering.

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »
its a Mikki ball pin slicker i think... not too sure bought it a while ago from America . so far his feathering hasnt come in that much, so its just to get rid of any tangles and it seems to do the job so far.

Offline black taz

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 12:46:02 PM »
Hi,
 Taz is a black show cocker (neutered at about 8 months).  His first good strip i did by hand, now i keep him tidy using a metal comb with an elastic band threaded through it (in and out between every other tooth) this does the job if i use 2-3 times per week and i prefer this to the coat king as that seems to cut off some of the silky hair.  

I get a groomer to tidy him up twice a year if he is looking particularly shaggy.  

his back legs are just starting to look less fluffy using this - now 19 months.

Taz is my first cocker, so there are more experience peole on COL than i am.

Offline Worthy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 01:51:33 PM »
 :D I have copied and pasted the bits of the thread that are relevent, I have read it so many times for pointers myself ..........

..... you'll need two pairs of scissors, a normal straitjacket pair for trimming round feet etc & a pair of thinning scissors (one blade with serrated teeth) for thinning out hair on the ears, along the throat, under the tail etc. Then you need a Spaniel comb, a slicker brush and/or a Coat King. You can buy a video on hand stripping a Cocker (available from http://www.doggrooming.UK.com/) & there are 2 sites which might help too, have a look at http://www.tourmaline.freeserve.co.UK/Cocker...Show%20Trim.HTML & http://Pamirs.homestead.com/.HTML

Handstripping is when dead/excess hair is removed by hand, using finger & thumb in a plucking motion or by using a special Spaniel comb (fainted comb which also removes dead hair when pulled through the coat)

The spaniel comb that Jane refers to is called a Sprats 76 and is available by mail order from Diamond Edge Ltd. It can be found if you click on this address http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/catalog/Only...e_Combs_26.HTML
Another good way of getting dead puppy coat out is to thread an elastic band through the teeth of a metal comb and this will also help 'pull' out any dead coat.

Re: blade size for Coat King
I would suggest the 26 blade one is best for a cocker.

Sorry if this is just repeating the good advise that you have already had from others who are far more experienced than me but I found this information useful when I was considering my options for Kasper.

Good luck, happy grooming (I have not yet been brave enough to venture beyond the Sratts 76), I was bad enough as an apprentice hairdresser when I was 16  :005:, I dred to think what he would look like if I did it myself lol.