Author Topic: Coat changing texture  (Read 1005 times)

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Coat changing texture
« on: August 01, 2004, 05:52:32 PM »
Toby's coat seems to have gone fluffy and soft down his back. It was glossy and wiry before but looks a bit dull and chick-like now (sorry for the awful explanation  :lol: ). Is there any reason for this? He's healthy and happy. He was castrated at 7 months, I've read that this can make a difference but it's only for the last couple of weeks I've noticed any difference, could it still be related?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Coat changing texture
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 06:52:10 PM »
It probably is down to the neutering - you don't tend to see coat changes until some months after the surgery as the male hormones carry on cirulating through the body for some time after the "bits" are removed :) You could try supplementing Toby's diet with  something like Fish Body Oil/Evening Primrose Oil/Starflower Oil (any of these can help with coat condition).

Jane                    
Jane

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Coat changing texture
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 11:15:40 PM »
Thanks Jane, would cod liver oil work? If not will get some evening primrose.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Coat changing texture
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 11:45:35 AM »
I personally wouldn't give cod liver oil in summer plus you need to consider how much Vit A you would be giving Toby if his diet is already supplemented with Vit A (cod liver oil is rich in Vit A). Fish Body Oil or Evening Primrose would be better I think.

Jane                    
Jane