Author Topic: Getting Brenna to stay still?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline WILCO

Getting Brenna to stay still?
« on: February 08, 2009, 08:29:36 PM »
Does anyone out there have any tips to help me groom Brenna without it turning into a fight?
I can get her to stand-stay during training sessions without having a treat dangled under her nose but when I get her on to a little coffee table and try the same thing it all goes pear-shaped as soon as she gets whiff of the brushes. Then, as with most other things she thinks she has to get them into her mouth. The only way we can even attempt to succeed is to make it a two person job (my wife usually does the actual grooming and I'm the helper), and stick a treat under her nose and keep feeding her them until such time as we're done. In my mind treats are for a job well done not to bribe her to stop going after the brushes, but we struggle to get her to keep still long enough and of course we both get wound up. Even if we try and do it when she's tired she just becomes wide awake when the brushing starts and does the usual thing. Goodness know what will happen when we get to the washing stage.

Anyone any tips or anyone been through the same thing and found the perfect solution?

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
Re: Getting Brenna to stay still?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 09:44:12 PM »
have a look at this thread here

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=48485.0

you will find lots of great tips and yes you do have to bribe associate it with something nice to start with but eventually you will be able to groom without doing this....just take it slowly  ;)

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:44:18 PM »
My Bailey(4) hates being groomed he have to do it in small sessions, my OH keeps her happy by giving her small treats whilst I groom  :blink: she is much better now but hates her front legs being brushed thats always the most difficult.
 My other cocker will still on the floor for ages and falls asleep she loves it  :luv:

Offline WILCO

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:10:52 AM »
Thanks for the info. I like the ironing board idea. that should focus her mind more on staying upright rather than chewing the brushes. I'll give it a go. We already do it up on a small table with a non-slip mat on it and she does let us have a go if we have teats for her but even food becomes less intersting than brushes sometimes.

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 12:40:49 PM »
Primula squeezy "cheese" with ham in  ;) Disgusting but seems to be doing the trick with Darcey.

Remember you aren't using the treats as a reward in this case - you are making the association that grooming=yummy treats. Today Darcey sat patiently on the bench while I brushed her for the first time ever. Still need the primula to comb her legs and tail and ears tho!!

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 12:45:05 PM »
I use the ironing board, I got the tip on here and it's great  :shades:
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »
I used the ironing board successfully at first, but then he decided he liked it and refused to let me get him down. When he got bored i got him off via an armchair to stop him leaping. I would like a miniature cattle (cocker)crush cage to keep the head  away and legs still !
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.