Author Topic: First real grooming session....when?  (Read 698 times)

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
First real grooming session....when?
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »
Luis went to the groomer for a bath, and to be brushed through........just to get him used to the grooming process.  I asked the groomer when I would need to bring him for his first cut/clipping, but she said it depends.

Is there an ideal time for the first cut?

Luis is now 22 weeks old, and his coat is lovely.  I brush it regularly, and it is really silky.  It is long....but manageable.

I honestly can't remember how old my other 2 cockers were...........but I am sure it was before 5 months.
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Re: First real grooming session....when?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:21:48 PM »
Maureen, I would suggest taking him for a tidy of ears, feet and tail every 8 weeks (ish) and this would stand him in good stead for when he's older.
His puppy coat won't probably start to give until he is about 10 months (or so) old, but combined with you brushing him in between times it should get him into a good routine. :D

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
Re: First real grooming session....when?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:03:20 PM »
Thanks Michele. I honestly couldn't remember when Lily had her first real cut........ but, I remembered that she was on the table and tidied every so often.  Her coat was always lovely, so just wanted to do the same by Luis.  Freya has a very thick coat, and I know that she was groomed properly at about 7 months.....it was difficult to maintain, and still is really.  Luis seems to have a much finer coat.
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx