Author Topic: When Do I Start?  (Read 913 times)

Offline vicking

• Site Member
    • http://
When Do I Start?
« on: August 22, 2004, 11:08:27 PM »
<_< Obviousley i wash groom and trim Roscoe his feet and fluffy bits but as he is now takin the apperance of a fluffy sheep, when do i begin to start the transformation of starting to have him look like the wonderful orange roan cocker i know he is destend to be? ;)  
VICKI , MIA AND ROSCOE X X X

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
When Do I Start?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 10:38:45 AM »
Molly had her first  'proper' hand strip when she was 8 months (when her coat started to really 'give') but until that time looked like a yeti.  If I'd known more about stripping and Coat Kings etc. I would probably have attempted it sooner.  Ah well, I'll know for the next time.  Look out Brodie :lol:  
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
When Do I Start?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 12:27:52 PM »
It was suggested to me that at 4 to 5 months i should start gently stripping and trimming my puppy.  I took her to a nearby breeder at 6 months for him to show me how to go about trimming her as i had little idea, and he introduced her to the coat king.  Her puppy fluff had already started to become loose in some areas, and so she was ready for it then; this may not be true for all puppies though.  Also, I think it was a good thing for her to experience the clippers etc so young (if left to grow natural she has an enormous moustach, so that had to be clippered off)  It's a good idea to get the pup used to such things early in their life, even if they dont really need much doing to their coat just so they get used to it.  As far as I am aware, in showing, minor puppies can still have puppy coat, but after 9 months it would be expected that the coat was stripped and trimmed, so i guess that is another benchmark you could use.

But...I have little experience with cockers and trimming, and so someone with more experience may suggest otherwise.  

sportsmonki