Author Topic: Best Cut to keep them cool in summer  (Read 2392 times)

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
Re: Best Cut to keep them cool in summer
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 05:12:38 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, have been really helpful! I do want to keep a little bit on him as i personally prefer a little bit of coat , i dont know the correct terminology of it all just want him a bit neater but to keep a bit of his feathering?! on his tummy and legs and ears just lighter, that strip idea down the middle sounds a good idea as is keeping his feet trimmed which i have been trying to do but i think need to build up the time i spend on them.

i've been leaving it til its not sunny ( i.e early evening)to walk him as it has been suprisingly hot and didnt want to walk him in the heat also take a water bottle with me and try to go somewhere theres at least a muddy puddle which is making him think i hadnt realised i'd been letting him get muddy :005:

Also have a paddling pool filled up in the garden which he likes and theres always a bit of shade but he could defintly do with being a bit shorter as his ears are starting to get a bit knotted from being in and out the water.

Will ask for them to clip his back fairly short and then leave a bit of feathering, she did quite a good job the first go he looked neat but not too dramatically different so i think asking to go a bit shorter on his back and to take some of the heavy coat off hopefully should be ok as long as i specify i dont want him short all over.

Marty is a show cocker and whilst his coat isnt too managable he is looking a bit fluffy ( those that have met him will know what i mean)

It's going to be his birthday treat- he turns 1 tomorrow!!

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 05:31:13 PM »
Roxy is half worker half show so has short body hair.  To keep her clean and easier to groom I have her feathers trimmed as short as possible without actually loosing the feathers if you get my meaning!she has head ears and chest clipped as short as possible without going to the skin, legs, under belly and tail about and inch and a half.  You still get the feathered look but its much more manigable.  she doesn't have a lot of coat though.

I didn't know they sweated through their feet! very interesting! I'll make sure thay are as short as possible next time too!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 09:36:35 PM »
Heres Jessie after her trim this week. She is feeling the heat and with being on the medication for her cancer she is also quite hot even when she's in the cool so we have had her shorter than normal.....I wish her coat was managable longer not woolly like a sheep cos then I would leave it to get longer....

Offline heelers n cockers

• Site Member
  • Freddy Flashback-BIS Colne Valley '09 & RBIS '10
    • Moonwillow Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 10:00:39 PM »
here is Marley at about 12 months old....he has/had quite a fine, thin coat without much growth to the feathers, hopefully i can get him back to this in a few months time!

Cocker Spaniels leave their pawprints on your heart......
Lancashire Heelers however.....leave their teethmarks on your trousers!

Champagne for my real friends...Real pain for my sham friends....

http://moonwillowcockerspaniels.piczo.com

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 10:09:41 PM »
My two are in full show coat. I believe the coat insulates them from the heat. Thereby keeping them cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. It also protect them from the UV rays.
Under the paws cut very close to help them keep cool.

I keep then out of the full sun and walk them early morning and late evening.
A full coat takes time a good deal of care but I like them.

same here! personally i prefer my boys with their full show coat, Patrick looks especially handsome and very striking :luv: when he is fully trimmed/groomed for show, he doesn't have a problem with overheating, as he will find his own cool spots in the garden, although he is equally comfortable sat in the full sun with me!  :005: the past few days i have been getting up at 4.30am to take them for a run around the field  :005: nice and peaceful and nobody around! perfect bliss!  :lol2:

Pat in show coat  :luv:

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 09:26:57 AM »
Heres Jessie after her trim this week. She is feeling the heat and with being on the medication for her cancer she is also quite hot even when she's in the cool so we have had her shorter than normal.....I wish her coat was managable longer not woolly like a sheep cos then I would leave it to get longer....

:luv: :luv: Beautiful girl

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 10:19:36 AM »
These pictures are great, it's so difficult knowing what to ask for a bit like when i go to the hairdressers i guess lol.

He's booked in for friday so would it be possible to take some of the pictures to show the groomer?  She asked if wanted him clippered i said yes, so hopefully all will be ok.

It's his birthday today so we'll be going somewhere where he can get as muddy and as wet as possible  ::)

x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
I lightly clip Dave's coat on his back, his head gets a full going over and I usually leave a bit of feathering on his belly (with the air con strip down the middle - love that phrase  :005:) and a little on his tail and back of his legs.

To be honest though it depends how much time I have and he gets varying degrees of things. I do tend to take it all off his ears which looks silly but I do it because he's always walking in forests and heathlands and gets so many brambles/gorse twigs etc tangled up in him and it's agony to get them out poor love.

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 11:23:40 AM »
These pictures are great, it's so difficult knowing what to ask for a bit like when i go to the hairdressers i guess lol.
I never know what to ask for either, when I took Gari recently I asked for "a lot off, but leave some on" - she knew what I meant! :005:

I hope Marty has a wonderful birthday and enjoys his picnic and the mud! :luv:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 11:58:07 AM »

I never know what to ask for either, when I took Gari recently I asked for "a lot off, but leave some on" - she knew what I meant! :005:

:lol2: :lol2: That sounds like me when I go to the hairdressers too  :005:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 12:01:14 PM »

He's booked in for friday so would it be possible to take some of the pictures to show the groomer?  She asked if wanted him clippered i said yes, so hopefully all will be ok.

It's his birthday today so we'll be going somewhere where he can get as muddy and as wet as possible  ::)

x

yes of course you can use Marley's pic  :D
hope Marty enjoys his Birfday mud puddles!  :005:

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 12:02:14 PM »

:lol2: :lol2: That sounds like me when I go to the hairdressers too  :005:
I'm glad you leave a bit on, Hannah! :lol2:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 02:33:48 PM »
As well as Jane's comment about keeping the feet trimmed, something that hasn't been mentioned yet but I feel is equally important is for the body/coat to be well brushed and then combed.

Even a cocker that is clipped off completely can have dead hair in the coat making it thicker and therefore not allowing air to circulate down to the skin. ;)

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 03:08:44 PM »
Have noticed some tangles in Martys coat but i always use a slicker brush and then a metal comb which gets rid of any dead hair etc, he mainly gets them on his ears so i'm going to try and get as many of the tangles out as i can and then see if she can get them any better when its done properly.

He's just had a bath after getting horrendously muddy and wet today, used his dark coat shampoo ( which is new - a birthday present to change from his puppy shampoo) so when he's a bit drier i will give him a good brush and comb.

Is it correct that you shouldnt brush them when wet?! like human hair?
x

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 06:56:08 PM »
Indie's now clipped - not because of the heat as she wasn't clipped last year but cos her coat has changed from spaying.   I would never have the full clip on her though - think the boys can get away with it but she needs a little skirt to keep her ladylike  :005:

Here's a pic of Indie clipped quite short but still with a little feathering.