Author Topic: Trimming A Puppy  (Read 1206 times)

Offline sweeps mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Trimming A Puppy
« on: September 07, 2004, 03:49:43 PM »
Our dog Sweep who is now 7 months old  is beginning to look very shaggy and untidy as his coat has grown and he is very fluffy. I have booked him in for a trim in a couple of weeks but don't want him clipped really short so he goes all curly. I have been told handstripping is very expensive and time consuming and unnecessary unless you are showing. What do other people think do you strip or trim?

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Trimming A Puppy
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 04:03:50 PM »
I wouldn't have him trimmed, maybe just around his feet. It's worth persevering with his coat. A stripped coat is much easer to to maintain than a clipped coat. It's just that it's an ongoing excercise.
You could wind an elastic band between the teeth of a normal comb, and when the coat is ready, you'll be amazed at how much this pulls out.
Both my girls were hand stripped at around 12 months and it took 2 sessions each to see some sort of shape develop.
They are both occaisionally clipped now, but 'cos they were hand stripped initially, when their coat does grow back, it grows back as 'fur' and not 'fluff' if you know what I mean, and they still look sleek and shiny. <_<  
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Trimming A Puppy
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 05:52:54 PM »
We don't show Molly, but I still get her hand stripped.  She had her first 'strip' at around 8 months and came back looking like a different dog.  Her coat is lovely and silky now (even though she's been spayed) and I've started to have a little attempt at stripping myself  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: .  It does take a bit longer at the groomers ( I don't know how much more it costs because she's never been clipped) but I'd say it's worth it.  Just my opinion (not that it's worth much :lol: )

Off to do some stripping now :P  
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Trimming A Puppy
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 08:39:14 AM »
I just use a coat king for Storm's back.  I guess the result is somewhere inbetween clipping and hand -stripping, but tending more towards the hand-stripped look.   I wont always have time to sit and pull her hair, but want a good looking dog with a nice coat and so that method is ideal for me (so far).  I only hand-strip her head to finish it off after the thinning scissors if necessary.

sportsmonki