Author Topic: Tried Coat King For First Time  (Read 6156 times)

Offline Angela

• Site Member
    • http://
Tried Coat King For First Time
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2004, 09:43:53 PM »
Hi All

Just thought I would up date everyone on the coat king saga.  I ordered one from Hud the other day and it arrived this morning.  I had a quick go with it tonight and found it very easy to use.  I got the 26 blade variety.  It ran through Dexters coat very easily.  I just used it as suggested from the base of his head down the line of his body to his tail in approx a 8inch wide strip along his back.  Sometimes I could feel more drag than at others which was a bit scary as it felt like I was pulling big chuncks of coat out when this happened.  At what angle to the body should I be holding the coat king as I found this made a differance in the amount of hair it removed?  The thighter the angle the more coat came out.  I felt very comfortable using the coat king and did not feel at any time that I was going to cut Dexter.  It is quite alarming though how much coat actually comes out, I didn't give Dex a full treatment but within no time I had a big hand full of puppy fluff.  I didn't want to go too far at first as I wasn't sure how far down his sides I should go, and should I use it on the sides of his body and legs.  Perhaps some one could let me know?  I didn't want him to have a short flat back and wide fluffy sides which is how he was starting to look.  Dexter is a blue roan and for the first time in ages I can actually see the black patches on his back. (His body had turned almost soild black with puppy fluff).  The hardest part of using the coat king was getting Dex to stay still.  He kept going round and round trying to see what I had in my hand.  I eventually managed to get him to lay on the floor like a flat grilled chicken and play with his fluffy duck, when ever he attempted to move I made it quack and it would distract him.  I think I will have to invest in a grooming table if I am every going to do the job properly.
Angela & Dexter

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2004, 10:33:15 PM »
thats it now, you have got the bug ........the cocker bug. first the coat king then the table,£100's of pounds later....... a house full of lovely cocker and everone is saying where did you get their hair cut. and you say MEEEEEEE  :D    
Amanda, Lennox,Molly,Jasmine,Lotte & Ruby & Doogie xxxx

Offline Angela

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2004, 07:53:01 PM »
I think you are right Amanda.  I have decided that I need a desent pair of thinning sissors now.  I have had no replies about how far I should go with the coat king yet.  oops! Ihave to admit that I couldnt wait and went coat king mad.  I found another coat king question on COL about "can you coat king too much" and it said that as long as you can feel a drag their is coat to come out.  An hour later Dexter looked like a different dog. He is about half the size he was when I started and looks like a proper little blue roan cocker not a wolly mammoth.  He is no where near finished yet and all ready I have had friends ask the question, "where did you get his hair cut".  A neighbour has just got him self a lovely black and white cocker pup and I have all ready recommended a coat king.  I dont know what I was ever worried about.
Angela & Dexter

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2004, 08:24:04 PM »
You have inspired me Angela - a Coat King is now on my xmas list, and I will take the bull by the horns (or should that be a metaphorical 'cocker by the ears' :lol: ) and try Molo myself next time.

Now, if only I could get the hang of trimming his feet.....
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline catwillow

• Site Member
    • http://www.lapislumina.co.uk/
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2004, 09:01:44 PM »
:) I love my coat king, when I went to meet Lilly, Louise showed me how to use it and I ordered one as soon as I got home, it works wonders on Lilly's coat..... dont know what I would do without it.

I dont go over her head with it either though, as I am worried about the angle of the comb to the head, that it will cut her hair instead of just pull the fluff out.

Hugs n stuff

Sheri  XxX
Lilly, Murphy & Sally xxx

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2004, 09:30:14 PM »

I dont go over her head with it either though, as I am worried about the angle of the comb to the head, that it will cut her hair instead of just pull the fluff out.
I have used these on pet trims & I must say they are a godsend, however I have never managed to do a head with one (I have 3 sizes) it's much easier to pull the hair on the head IMO  :)  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2004, 09:34:15 PM »

I have used these on pet trims & I must say they are a godsend, however I have never managed to do a head with one (I have 3 sizes) it's much easier to pull the hair on the head IMO  :)
The way I use it on his head is to brush all his hair forward and slowly work my way back to front and side to side with the coat king.  
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2004, 10:19:03 PM »
I can coatking Bailey's head no bother at all - in the direction of the hair - but the texture of his fur is completely different to Brogans.  I have tried the coatking on Brogans head - it doesn't remove even one single strand of hair :rolleyes:

I have only ever needed to coatking Brogan on 2 occasions to date :blink:  Bailey has already been done umpteen times :P

I do like my coatking though - dont think my fingers could cope with Baileys coat! <_< dense in more ways than one that boy :lol:  
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09