Author Topic: Handstripping  (Read 763 times)

Offline SandraD

Handstripping
« on: October 16, 2009, 04:25:18 PM »
I am after some advice from all you peeps in the know!!

I am keen to hand strip 8 month old Monty who is a light blue roan and tan.  He went back to his breeder at around 6 months of age for a puppy trim and tidy up and she showed me how to hand strip him.  I bought all the goodies, including finger coats and am finding the whole process of stripping his coat very relaxing! ph34r

I will shortly be arranging to take him back to his breeder again for the next stage of coat care/instruction(!), but in the meantime I have a query - and it might seem a really silly one to those of you in the know, so sorry in advance!! :005:  I have been working on Monty's body area and head and his puppy fluff is coming out beautifully, however, can I strip out too much?  In other words, will only the fluffy stuff that is meant to come out easily, come out?  I don't want to leave the poor boy furless!! ph34r

I would like to have made a good start on the handstripping before we go back to the breeder as I would like her to show me how to properly tidy up his ears, feet and thin/tidy up his feathering - I am loathe to attack these areas in case I wreck them!!

Thank you in advance for any help and guidance! :blink:

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: Handstripping
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 05:06:29 PM »
Glad you posted this as the part of Belle that I find easiest to strip is her head, she gets very twitchy when I do her other parts ::) she still has loads to come out but I was wondering if its possible to overstrip :-\
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline sam jane

• Site Member
Re: Handstripping
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:15:12 PM »
Yes it is possible to over strip, you can end up with a bald patch. Keep moving around when you are doing the hand stripping to prevent this