Author Topic: Hanstripping, how long will it take....  (Read 1341 times)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Hanstripping, how long will it take....
« on: October 25, 2009, 02:50:11 PM »
to get rid of all the puppy fluff :huh: I have been hanstripping Belle for nearly 2 months now, I seem to get a fair amount each session, I do her daily for about half an hour and will do her head when she is on my lap during the evening. Most of you that know Belle know that she is extremely fluffy so I am aware it will take longer than most but I feel like I am getting nowhere :'( My breeder says its coming along fine and not to worry too much about it she is still a puppy etc. I can see a slight improvement but not much am I being impatient or am I not doing it for long enough any advice would be really appreciated, she has a show on sat and I am afraid she is still too fluffy :-\ I don't want to nag my lovely breeders about this as they have a very unwell relative at the moment and are giving us enough of their time as it is ::)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Hanstripping, how long will it take....
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 01:49:35 PM »
You won't completely get rid of the puppy fluff until it's ready to come out, and she is still a bit too young for that (usually puppy coat "blows" in bitches after their first season; if spayed before that, around 8-9 months old) With puppies you do the best you can but most of them won't have as tight a "jacket" as the adults

I know how frustrating a heavy coated black can be, I had one myself  ::) I did have a "Eureka!" moment when the lightbulb went on as to stripping her  :005:  but a lot of the blacks carry more topcoat than other colours even as adults, it's just the way it is.  ::)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:11:08 PM »
Jo I know how you feel - I'm still fed up of people saying Eddie is tubby (and constantly repeating the mantra, "it's not fat it's fur"!)...... hang in there and trust your breeder - good luck for the show  :luv:
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 02:21:24 PM »
I've been worrying about Charlies not coming out with his first show in a month...

Then I found this link on another thread, if you scroll down to the blacks that were placed in the Minor Puppy Dog class you'll see they both still looked fluffy and not much skirt or the usual sleek cocker look... It made me feel a bit better, hope it helps you too

http://www.cockeringles.org/exposiciones/reportajes_especiales/reportajeescocia2009.htm

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 04:39:41 PM »
Thanks all :luv:, and yes Jenny that does make me feel better ;) Spoke to my breeder this am and he is going to have a 'go' at her stripping later this week so I hope to see an improvement by then, onwards and upwards ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty