Author Topic: Advice please Baxter's ears have a problem  (Read 1660 times)

Offline chrisj1957

Advice please Baxter's ears have a problem
« on: November 22, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »
I have always took time to groom both of our Cockers but have noticed a couple of days ago while brushing Baxters ears he has these what can only be descibed as black hard tiny little lumps on the ends of his ears where his skin meets the fur.I tried combing them out but he started crying and wrigglig which is unusual as he loves being groomed.A friend says they look like little seed pods any advice would be appreciated .

Offline bracken

• Site Member
Re: Advice please Baxter's ears have a problem
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 07:42:57 PM »
You could try just bathing the ends of ears with a gentle shampoo  :blink: sometimes mine have ears washed at the ends as they seems to get damp and messy so easily.

I use a plastic jug to dip their ends of ear in then shampoo and rinse throughly. I then dry with towel and use hairdryer which they love  :luv:

Do they have cocker ( narrow ) drinking bowls ?

My Bailey can get hard bits at the end too, she manages to dip her ears in everything, but with regular washing is fine  :blink:

Jo

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 01:16:53 PM »
Try conditioner. After she has been shampooed I condition roxy ears just with a little of my own. You could then gently comb then through with it in and rinse or wait til they are dry and they will be much easier to comb.

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 04:18:58 PM »
No advice I'm afraid....I'm very bad and am posting only to ask if you have any up to date photos of your handsome boys? ph34r ph34r 

Offline dottysmum

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:36:13 PM »
They could be little scabs that can form if the ends of the ears get wet alot, my girl had them when she was younger, I felt like such a bad mum when I found them, I use a spaniel bowl now and if they get wet I dry them thoroughly.

Offline chrisj1957

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 10:20:53 PM »
Hi Dottysmum
What did you do to get the scabs off her ears I have shampooed and conditioned his ears tonight but as soon as the brush and comb appear he hides !!!!

Offline dottysmum

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 03:47:18 PM »
Hi, just make sure the ears are kept dry,the scabs need to be allowed to dry up,  if the ears get wet then dry them off with the hairdryer,maybe put a snood on when he goes in the garden if it's wet and if he'll keep it on.(There are savaged snoods all over my house!)Eventually they will detatch and come out when you comb, just be really gentle as you can easily split the skin.
Hope I've helped!

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 09:21:54 AM »
My Paisley gets this really bad, she has got really sensitive to her ears being brushed now so I have to be really careful.  She is also scared to death of the hair drier so I can't dry her ears quickly.  I've started brushing her ears everyday with a big ball pin brush from PAH.  I think it almost massages her ears and she lies there letting me do it, I just go over and over and over and gradually each day a little bit more of the scabs comes out!  I just had her trimmed too and asked to have her ears very short.  :embarassed: this has allowed me to get closer to the scabs without all the hair in the way.  I've made a promise to myself that I will now keep on top of her ears and brush them everyday!  I felt like a terrible mum for letting them get so scabby!   ph34r 
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 12:16:24 PM »
Murphy gets these if he hasn't had a bath for a while. I've noticed them more as its getting wetter. On Murphy they seem to be greasy lumps, sometimes with hair matted in them. I bathe his ears with lots of shampoo and then comb them and they just washed out. But like someone else has said they could be scabs of irritated skin, our springer got these and the only thing you can do is try to keep the ears as dry as possible,we also used to put some aloe vera on the irritated bits to soothe the skin. I hope they just wash out though!
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.